Bombardier Honey - Indian Mutiny medal discrepancy

For all discussions relating to the Indian Mutiny of 1857-59.

Bombardier Honey - Indian Mutiny medal discrepancy

Postby ARippin » 17 Aug 2016 22:51

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by posting straight to this particular area.

I've recently located my GG Grandfather Charles Honey in the Royal Regiment of Artillery.
He served 22 years and 6 months at 'Various stations in Madras Presidency'
His discharge docs of 1873 state 'He is in possession of the Indian Mutiny Medal'.

However on checking Ancestry and Findmypast databases for recipients of this particular medal I can find no record of him!

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Many thanks in anticipation.
ARippin

Re: Bombardier Honey - Indian Mutiny medal discrepancy

Postby Will Mathieson » 18 Aug 2016 00:54

His military docs would be correct. Those sites you mentioned are good but by far incomplete and depend on others inputs.
You could add his name to their lists.
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Postby ARippin » 18 Aug 2016 06:46

Thanks Will, I suspect I may may have to check the source data wherever it's held at some point.
ARippin

Postby SWB » 19 Aug 2016 07:48

I don't think the Indian Mutiny rolls are part of Ancestry's medal roll offering - I think they are in the British Library, Ancestry's medal rolls are the WO100 class from The National Archives. FmP does not have any Victorian medal rolls.

Kevin Asplin published an Indian Mutiny medal roll in recent times - if no one has confirmed Honey's name in that roll I will check my copy tonight.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby ARippin » 19 Aug 2016 20:19

SWB wrote:I don't think the Indian Mutiny rolls are part of Ancestry's medal roll offering - I think they are in the British Library, Ancestry's medal rolls are the WO100 class from The National Archives. FmP does not have any Victorian medal rolls.

Kevin Asplin published an Indian Mutiny medal roll in recent times - if no one has confirmed Honey's name in that roll I will check my copy tonight.

Regards
Meurig

Only just spotted your post so many thanks, I've looked on so many sites for Charles Honey I obviously got my wires crossed!
I'm pretty sure I checked on TNA but will check again.

Really appreciate your offer of checking the medal role you are in possession of and look forward to hearing what it shows up.

Kindest regards.
ARippin

Postby SWB » 19 Aug 2016 23:04

Hello

Sorry but there is no Charles Honey or any Honey in the Artillery listed in Asplin's roll. In his preface he notes that the RA rolls are only available in the British Library (L/MIL/5), they are hard to read and the "rolls seem incomplete...there were 3 supplementary rolls with no original rolls being present" - Asplin identifies those units he thinks are incomplete.

Do you know which unit he served with during the Mutiny?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby ARippin » 19 Aug 2016 23:31

I wish I did know which unit he was with during the Indian Mutiny?
That was going to be one of my new posts.... How do you work out what unit a gunner/bombardier would be attached to!
All I can see at the top of the first page of his discharge papers is a hand written 'C Battery, C Brigade, Reg of Arty'.
I tried to add it as an attachment but the pixels are too large so I will try to reduce it tomorrow.
Thanks so much for taking a look.
ARippin

Postby Maureene » 20 Aug 2016 02:17

If he was discharged 1873 and had 22 years of service at 'Various stations in Madras Presidency' he must have joined up c 1851.
This seems to imply he would have joined the Madras Army, as the Royal Artillery was not in India in the years prior to the Indian Mutiny.

To my knowledge the Madras Army was not much involved in the Mutiny, and there must be a possibility that he did not get a medal.
If he did get a medal, the medal rolls at the British Library would be the source to look at. For more details, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Medal Rolls http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Medal_R ... ry_records

As a member of the Madras Army you would be able to research him further.
See the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Madras Army
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Madras_Army
In particular the records "Registers of Madras Army European Soldiers" IOR/L/MIL/11/101-108 1786-1860 are available at the British Library or on FamilySearch microfilm.

For interest, the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Royal Artillery has some details about the amalgamation of the Bengal, Madras and Bombay Artillery into the Royal Artillery
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Royal_Artillery

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby ARippin » 20 Aug 2016 12:24

Maureene wrote:If he was discharged 1873 and had 22 years of service at 'Various stations in Madras Presidency' he must have joined up c 1851.
This seems to imply he would have joined the Madras Army, as the Royal Artillery was not in India in the years prior to the Indian Mutiny.

To my knowledge the Madras Army was not much involved in the Mutiny, and there must be a possibility that he did not get a medal.
If he did get a medal, the medal rolls at the British Library would be the source to look at. For more details, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Medal Rolls http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Medal_R ... ry_records

As a member of the Madras Army you would be able to research him further.
See the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Madras Army
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Madras_Army
In particular the records "Registers of Madras Army European Soldiers" IOR/L/MIL/11/101-108 1786-1860 are available at the British Library or on FamilySearch microfilm.

For interest, the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Royal Artillery has some details about the amalgamation of the Bengal, Madras and Bombay Artillery into the Royal Artillery
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Royal_Artillery

Cheers
Maureen

That's all really interesting Maureen and give me loads of leads to follow. Thanks for your valued input.

I read somewhere that the criteria was quite strict for receiving the IMM initially but this was later relaxed. 1868 rings a bell, such that any unit/person to have come under fire including civil servants etc were eligible and that a large percentage were issued in this way?

I guess this could be when (if) Charles Honey received his medal.

I will follow up those leads and also attempt to reduce pixels of the discharge paper to those specified on this site but it definitely records the fact that he was awarded one.
ARippin

Return to Indian Mutiny 1857-59