Is this a uniform?

For all discussions relating to the Indian Mutiny of 1857-59.

Is this a uniform?

Postby johnpreece » 17 Jul 2016 22:57

I was looking at the following well known picture (though I cannot lay my hands on a place or date when it was taken at present)

However, leaving aside the grim content my attention was taken by the four or five figures around the gallows. They appear to be wearing an identical uniform of loose tunic trousers and turban. I assume they are carrying swords although these may not have come out well and been added later with pencil or similar.

I wonder who they are, possibly a native police unit or irregular cavalry? Thoughts from the more knowledgeable would be welcome.

thanks
John

PS I am sorry, I am trying to attach the photo but all I can get to load is the link.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yWOt_LFByFA/U ... photos+(76).jpg
johnpreece

Re: Is this a uniform?

Postby Redleg56 » 18 Jul 2016 01:53

John:

The photo also appears on page 200 of Michael Edwardes' "Battles of the Indian Mutiny". The caption states "Execution of two mutineers". The men in the photo may have been detailed to carry out the execution. Based on their attire, they may be members of an Irregular Cavalry unit brought down from the Punjab/North West Frontier area to assist in suppressing the Mutiny.

Mike
Redleg56

Re: Is this a uniform?

Postby johnpreece » 18 Jul 2016 10:33

Thank you Mike.

I quickly checked this morning.
The photograph is, of course, by Felice Beato. It would have been taken sometime after his arrival in India in February 1858.
He travelled widely through all of the Mutiny area and the exact time and place of this image are unknown.
(information from the NAM and V&A websites.)

John
johnpreece

Return to Indian Mutiny 1857-59