Uniforms Identification

For all discussions relating to the Indian Mutiny of 1857-59.

Uniforms Identification

Postby astrang1 » 10 Jul 2016 12:45

31.GrtGrtUncleFraser_IndiaMutiny.zip
(379.06 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

Hello,
I am looking for some information from the attached photos. They are from my wife's family circa Indian Mutiny. Any assistance re regiment rank etc would be appreciated. I have attached as a zip file due to image size.
Thanks,
Al
astrang1

Re: Uniforms Identification

Postby mike snook » 10 Jul 2016 13:06

Nowt to do with the Indian Mutiny.

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby jf42 » 11 Jul 2016 16:02

Al, further to Mike Snook's observation, these photos date from a little later then the Indian Mutiny period- and fairly clearly were not taken in India.

They appear to show two civilians, the left hand gentleman apparently a member of a rifle volunteer unit in the 1860s. His low, rigid bonnet indicates the early phase of the civilain Volunteer movement before standardised 'Scottish' military uniforms were adopted, most units favouring the glengarry bonnet as worn by the other subject. His doublet might be rifle green, given what look to be bronze buttons; the rank stripes on his sleeves are probably a gold colour, showing up dark grey as a result of the photographic process of the day. His kilt appears to have an overlay of white stripes( yellow stripes would also show grey-black). This might suggest a connection with the 78th Ross-hire Buffs, later The Seaforth Highlanders, whose military Mackenzie tartan was the Goverment sett with a white overstripe. I can't comment on the sporran. The low gaiters or spats of grey or khaki also reflect the Volunteer setting. The broadsword is a prop.

The second man, Cousin Alfred, is in formal Highland costume from possibly a little later, perhaps, say in the 1870s or maybe even the 1880s. From his broad, decorated sword belt and plain glengarry it is possible he was a piper. His clothing has no obvious military connection but examination of the insignia on his bonnet and on his belt buckle might reveal otherwise.

I hope that is of help.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby astrang1 » 11 Jul 2016 21:50

Thank you for your input jf42.
I say Indian Mutiny as they are from a batch of photos in an album and they are pencil marked Indian Mutiny.
Thats about as much info as we had. Thanks again for the suggestions. Any help is appreciated.
Al
astrang1

Return to Indian Mutiny 1857-59