Pipe clayed belts

For all discussions relating to the Indian Mutiny of 1857-59.

Pipe clayed belts

Postby WillieB » 09 Jun 2016 19:11

I believe the original colour of the cross-belts was buff of light brown but that they were pipe-clayed white?
If this was the same stuff we used for 'whitening' our gaiters for parade it wears off within a few days or weeks depending on the weather.
Would it be safe to assume that the mutinous sepoys wouldn't keep whitening their belts; and that they would gradually return to a -perhaps patched-buff/ light brown shade?
WillieB

Re: Pipe clayed belts

Postby jf42 » 09 Jun 2016 21:22

Possibly, but I believe the pipeclaying and heel balling (don't forget the cartouche box) was also to treat the leather and stop it stiffening as a result of exposure to the elements. Whether that perspective was lost in all the fun is a fair question.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby mike snook » 09 Jun 2016 22:07

The 'native officers' were old soldiers and did their best to hold their outfits together - but of course it is in the nature of mutiny that discipline falls apart eventually. It is only a matter of time. I should have thought they would have tried to keep to a normal military routine for as long as possible, including inspections and so on, but of course they would have met with varying degrees of success over varying time scales. I don't think there is a correct 'answer' to this Willie.

Best wishes

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby WillieB » 09 Jun 2016 23:49

Makes good sense.
The majority of my mutineers in native dress will have a green-brownish cast to their clothes; shaded with greenish umber and highlighted with white to which a tinge of blue is added.
The basic mixture of this off white is burnt umber, mixed with Yellow ochre and Chrome green, to which I add pure titanium white.
Th resulting mix is a light duck egg green which can easily be manipulated by adding one of the base colours.

Of course if I was to add a little more Yellow ochre into the mix this might subtly contrast somewhat with the other whites.
Going to try it out and will you let you know the results.
WillieB

Return to Indian Mutiny 1857-59