Mutiny Action: "Gulai"?

For all discussions relating to the Indian Mutiny of 1857-59.

Mutiny Action: "Gulai"?

Postby swordcollector1 » 14 Dec 2015 16:48

Hi all,

Just acquired an interesting sword which was carried by a volunteer in Barrow's Cavalry during the Mutiny. It has been etched (presumably after return to UK) with "personal" battle honours which the owner was obviously very proud of: these include CAWNPORE, RELIEF OF LUCKNOW, ALLUMBAGH etc. One of these is "GULAI", but I can't find any battle of this name in my sources. It could be a spelling mistake (another honour, BAREILLY, is spelled BARIELLY, which sounds like it should be in South Wales!), but I've tried looking for obvious alternative spellings with no joy. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

John
swordcollector1

Re: Mutiny Action: "Gulai"?

Postby Lucknow57 » 14 Dec 2015 19:39

Hi John,
A shot in the dark as to that action I believe may be an attack by British led forces that took place on 15 April 1858 on Ruiya Bengal area? 'Gulai' could have formerly been what is now called Gumai (Gowmal) that is now located in Pakistan, previously NW India. Place names change over the years in India as they do in Wales where I am located.

Two ideas for you to work on?
Best of luck
Bill
Lucknow57

Re: Mutiny Action: "Gulai"?

Postby swordcollector1 » 15 Dec 2015 23:25

Thanks, Bill, I'll follow these up. No obvious links turned up via Google, but I have several books on the Mutiny on my Christmas list, and hopefully a bit of time off work over the holiday to do some more research!

Thanks again,

John
swordcollector1

Return to Indian Mutiny 1857-59