Lucknow House, St Dogmaels, Wales

For all discussions relating to the Indian Mutiny of 1857-59.

Lucknow House, St Dogmaels, Wales

Postby peterhastie » 31 Jul 2015 16:16

A very long shot, but i am hoping someone can help find out who was the owner/builder of the above house. It first appears first on the 1901 and subsequent 1911 census as Lucknow House (St Dogmells). It is occupied on both by a Clog Maker, David James born c1844 and family. I can only guess that the owner builder had a fairly firm connection with Lucknow to name a house after it, possibly the siege, or other. I have looked online for medal and clasp rolls, but they seem to be spread around various regimental museums and not available online. All suggestions welcome
peterhastie

Re: Lucknow House, St Dogmaels, Wales

Postby Les Waring » 31 Jul 2015 20:45

I can only find only one David James among HM troops who received the IMM, but he was involved in the Central India Campaign.
Could have been a civilian, though I don't have one on my OD list, or a member of EIC forces.

There was only one man with that surname, Pte. William James of the 32nd Foot, listed as receiving an IMM with Defence of Lucknow clasp i.e. having participated in the Siege of the Residency rather than the Relief forces. He died of wounds on 22 July 1857. Possibly a relative of the owner/builder of the house. It was quite common to try to commemorate participation in what was, for the British, a fundamental moment of imperial history.

Any connection with an OD or the Siege in general is, of course, of great interest to me, I'd appreciate receiving any further info. you receive.

(On a similar, though unconnected line, giving people event/place related names was another means of perpetuating such memories - e.g. my mother carried the (unused) second name 'Ypres', which was where her father met his end, and I was supposedly named for a man who 'bought it' at Arnhem.)

Best
Les Waring
Les Waring

Postby peterhastie » 31 Jul 2015 22:29

Hello Les
Thank you for that. A tenuous link would imply that David had a brother called William but he would only have been 15 at the time of the siege. Will keep digging
peterhastie

Postby Les Waring » 01 Aug 2015 00:32

The William James of the 32nd who dow at Lucknow had previously served with the 9th Foot, so it is extremely unlikely that he was one of the several 'boys' attached to the 32nd during the Siege. Could be some family link there however. Good luck with your search.

Best

Les W.
Les Waring

Return to Indian Mutiny 1857-59