Indian Mutiny Good Books

For all discussions relating to the Indian Mutiny of 1857-59.

Indian Mutiny Good Books

Postby lsh guy » 29 Jun 2015 22:22

I'm looking for suggestion on some good Indian Mutiny books for researching the 1857 Indian Mutiny. If you have any suggestions can you post the Title/Author and publishing date. Thanks again.

Darin
lsh guy

Re: Indian Mutiny Good Books

Postby johnpreece » 30 Jun 2015 00:02

Darin

I begun reading around the background only a couple of months ahead of you. So bearing in mind that a little knowledge etc..

I have found the following three books outstandingly useful.

T A Heathcote Mutiny and Insurgency in India 1857-8 Pen and Sword 2007.

This is a history covering an awful lot in 230 pages. the author has made India his lifetimes work and it shows on every page. One to begin with and then go back again and again.

Andrew Ward Our Bones are Scattered: The Cawnpore massacres and the Indian Mutiny. John Murray 1996

What can I say, gripping, moving, faster paced than a novel but academically rigorous. A terrible tale done justice to. This will plunge you into the heart of the drama.

And you must have an eyewitness memoir, of the dozen I have read I liked best;

William Wright (ed) Through the Indian Mutiny: memoirs James Fairweather. Spellmount 2011.
this has the advantage of really useful editorial notes and a further reading list.

All of these are easily and cheaply available on Amazon today you could get the lot for around £24, or through library loan.

If you read these three you would have a good idea wher you wanted to go next.
regards
John
johnpreece

Postby Maureene » 30 Jun 2015 00:18

The FIBIS Fibiwiki page Indian Mutiny has links to many online historical books, including general histories.
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Indian_ ... oks_online

There are also various campaign pages, many of which have additional links to online historical books.

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby Mark » 01 Jul 2015 09:17

I think 'The Indian Mutiny' by Julian Spilsbury is always a good starting point.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby bill wright » 01 Jul 2015 16:38

Its very nice of John Preece (above) to recommend my book on the Mutiny. It does have a useful bibliography which will help you. If your research is really in-depth or you intend reading a lot on the Mutiny then get yourself a copy of Richard Sorsky`s book, THE SEPOY MUTINY: 1857 Linden Publishing 2007 which gives a detailed listing of every book published on the event upto that year.
bill wright

Postby lsh guy » 06 Jul 2015 00:30

Thanks all for the suggested list of books I might find of interest. Have a great week.

Darin
lsh guy

Postby petergoose » 07 Jul 2015 11:28

For a basic overview Christopher hibberts Indian mutiny or saul davids work of the same name are pretty good. Edwardes battles of the Indian mutiny lacks maps but can be picked up for a penny on amazon. I've also got "they fight like devils"from green hill books which is accounts of Lucknow which is OK.
Unfortunately for military history the Indian mutiny has never been given the treatment by modern military historians it deserves. Pure military historys giving specific battles the isandlwana or Balaklava detailed treatment are VERY scarce.
petergoose

Return to Indian Mutiny 1857-59