2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade

For all discussions relating to the Indian Mutiny of 1857-59.

2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade

Postby jrdrury » 14 Jun 2015 21:21

Hi, James here,

Have just started researching my great grandfather, James Winchcomb who served in the Crimea and in the Indian Mutiny with the 2nd btn RB.

I have found quite a lot of info around the battalion in the Crimea but very little on there time in India.

Any advice or pointers very welcome, thanks in advance ....

james
jrdrury

Re: 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade

Postby Les Waring » 15 Jun 2015 00:33

James,

Just to kick off for the second time, the first effort went down the spout.

He is recorded on the Indian Mutiny Medal (IMM) roll with the rank of Sergeant in the 2nd Batt. Rifle Brigade. He received the IMM with the clasp for 'Lucknow', meaning that he was a member of the force, led by Sir Colin Campbell, which effected the final recapture of the city of Lucknow for the British in the spring of 1858. He may have been involved in other actions for which clasps were not awarded but I don't have a full record of the battalion's activity during this campaign.

He is the only Winchcomb on the IMM roll for the British Army, though there may have been others, civilians or EIC military personnel, of which I don't have a record. He is not recorded as having been wounded.

Best

Les Waring
Les Waring

Postby mike snook » 15 Jun 2015 01:34

Hello James,

You'll find chapter and verse in The History of the Rifle Brigade (London, 1877) by Sir Wm H. Cope Bart. The book is available in a cheap reprint. You'll google up buying options easily enough: I'm not sure whether it can be read online and you can check that out as easily as I can.

2nd Rifle Bde was one of many battalions rushed out to India in response to the Mutiny. They sailed in August 57 and arrived at Calcutta in November. A wing of four companies participated in General Windham's defence of Cawnpore in Nov 57 (not to be confused with General Wheeler's unhappy proceedings in the same location). This was a hard fight, over the course of three days, against the Gwalior Contingent. Sir Colin Campbell returned to Cawnpore with the extricated garrison of Lucknow, saved Windham's tail and thrashed the Gwalior a few days later. There was then a long hiatus until in March 58 Campbell returned to Lucknow to capture and clear the city: both 2nd and 3rd Rifle Brigade were with him. After that it was a question of chasing fugitive groupings of mutineers and rebels around Central India in which the Rifles played a full part...but that's a long story for which Sir William Cope will be your best guide.

Regards

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby jrdrury » 15 Jun 2015 22:18

.... thanks guys I' take a look at what you suggest :-)

James
jrdrury

Postby jrdrury » 08 Jan 2016 22:23

Hi Guys,

Have found lots of great info since last posted on here but just wonder if anyone could help with a query.

Is it possible to tell form muster rolls what company and captain a soldier served under in the crimea.

Have entries from the medal rolls under an office but is it possible to say if he remained in the same company through out the campaign.

Any advice much appreciated

many thanks

james
jrdrury

Return to Indian Mutiny 1857-59