Indian Staff Corps

For all discussions relating to the Indian Mutiny of 1857-59.

Indian Staff Corps

Postby acanthus » 26 May 2015 20:58

I realize this question relates to the period immediately after the Indian Mutiny however, it did involve many officers who served during the mutiny and in earlier campaigns.

The post mutiny reforms of the Indian Army included the formation of the three respective Staff Corps of Bengal, Madras and Bombay in 1861.

Does anyone know the specific date when officers were first recognized as being members of one of the respective Corps?

The India List for July 1861 (information for the first six months of 1861) does not have Staff Corps listings, whereas the India List for January 1862 (information for the second half of 1861) does have a Staff Corps listing.

In other words when during 1861 (at what date) were officer first recorded as members, even if the Corps listing didn't appear, until the publication of the next list?
acanthus

Re: Indian Staff Corps

Postby Frogsmile » 02 Jun 2015 18:36

The formation date was 10th April 1861, via a warrant published by the Governor General, so the initial members would have been taken on strength with effect from that date:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=BB2 ... 61&f=false
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby acanthus » 02 Jun 2015 20:59

Frogsmile,

Thanks for your input on this subject which is not so easy to follow.

I had found reference to the Governor Generals publication of April 10th prior to asking these questions however, it puzzled me as to why so many officers were recorded under the Staff Corps heading in consecutive fashion with the date of 18th February 1861; that is until I found the actual date of Her Majesty's Warrant was 16th January, 1861. I can only conclude that Staff Corps admission dates were in line with the HM's warrant and not the date when published by the G.G.
acanthus

Postby Frogsmile » 03 Jun 2015 00:06

acanthus wrote:Frogsmile,

Thanks for your input on this subject which is not so easy to follow.

I had found reference to the Governor Generals publication of April 10th prior to asking these questions however, it puzzled me as to why so many officers were recorded under the Staff Corps heading in consecutive fashion with the date of 18th February 1861; that is until I found the actual date of Her Majesty's Warrant was 16th January, 1861. I can only conclude that Staff Corps admission dates were in line with the HM's warrant and not the date when published by the G.G.

Yes that makes sense, as the authority for something to begin is usually a Royal Warrant, or Commission, and the date of said warrant, or Commission becomes the start point, which can also lead to back-dating for some individuals according to their circumstances.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to Indian Mutiny 1857-59