Maj Gen Lousada Barrow

For all discussions relating to the Indian Mutiny of 1857-59.

Maj Gen Lousada Barrow

Postby Verdmont » 26 Mar 2015 01:46

Can anyone tell me which 2 clasps would this officer be entitled to? Relief of Lucknow and which other.
Verdmont

Re: Maj Gen Lousada Barrow

Postby Verdmont » 27 Mar 2015 08:38

Apart from Relief of Lucknow which other clasp did Lousada Barrow receive? - Lucknow, Defence or Seige?
Verdmont

Postby Les Waring » 27 Mar 2015 11:50

Are we talking about Lousada Barrow as a Lieutenant? If so, he was (textual evidence) with the Havelock-Outram force which reached the Residency in September 1857. He would, like all members of that force, have received the Defence of Lucknow clasp (though he was not an OD). Nobody, with the possible exception of T.H. Kavanagh, would have been due both Defence AND Relief clasps. He may, however, have returned with Sir Colin Campbell's force in the spring of 1858, and thus gained the Lucknow clasp.

Best

Les Waring
Les Waring

Postby Verdmont » 27 Mar 2015 22:51

Thank you for the info. Lousada Barrow formed the Barrow Cavalry during the Indian Mutiny. As a result of his involvement he got 2 clasps , a CB, brevet major and brevet LtCol. I am confused about which clasps he would have received as he appears to have been at one seige which he help defend and then on his return he broke through to relieve Lucknow.

He ended up a MajGen and Commissioner of Oud
Verdmont

Postby Harold Raugh » 28 Mar 2015 03:49

Greetings:

Based on Lousada Barrow's service in 1857, my educated guess would be that he was entitled to these clasps:

-Defence of Lucknow, 29 June - 22 November 1857. Awarded to original defenders and to the relief force commanded by Sir Henry Havelock - Particularly rare and sought after by collectors. This medal was also awarded to the principal, masters and schoolboys from La Martinière College in Lucknow.

-Relief of Lucknow, November 1857. Awarded to the relief force under the command of Sir Colin Campbell.

Although fairly junior in rank, L. Barrow was not a youngster. He was born on 2 February 1816. He was appointed a "Supernumerary Cornet" in the 5th Madras Light Infantry on 10 April 1836; cornet on 18 November 1836; lieutenant on 24 November 1839, and captain on 8 May 1849. He transferred to the political service in December 1854. He received the brevet of major on 24 March 1858, C.B. on 26 July 1858. and brevet of lt. col. on 26 April 1859.

L. Barrow's obituary can be found in the 13 October 1877 issue of Army and Navy Gazette.

I am a little curious why the sudden interest in Lousada Barrow? I am working on a forthcoming project on Lousada Barrow, as I acquired a few months ago a copy of his Indian Mutiny letters with additional biographical material put together by his son Frank. I also acquired Lousada's other son's Nile Expedition letters. Lousada's third son was Percy of the 19th Hussars. A fascinating Victorian military family.

Cheers,
Harold Raugh
Harold Raugh

Postby Les Waring » 28 Mar 2015 13:40

From what I've read, I'd stick with my original comment on the IMM clasps due to Barrow.

1. DEFENCE OF LUCKNOW. He was definitely a member of the Havelock-Outram Force which reinforced the Original Garrison of the Lucknow Residency in September 1857. Members of this force received the DEFENCE of LUCKNOW clasp.

Although Barrow and some of his volunteer cavalry did attempt to break out of the besieged garrison, they were forced to turn back and thus were relieved by Sir Colin Campbell's force in November 1857. Only members of Campbell's force of this date received the RELIEF of LUCKNOW clasp. Campbell then withdrew from Lucknow as he did not consider it strategically significant once the Original Garrison had been evacuated.

2. Campbell returned to Lucknow in early 1858 in order to reconquer the whole city for the British. This was not a 'relief' as there were no besieged left to 'relieve', unless you count the strong garrison, composed of regulars, which he had left at the Alum Bargh, on the city outskirts, to keep the British flag flying in Oude. Members of Campbell's force who finally conquered the city, including many who already had won the Defence of Lucknow clasp and very likely including Barrow, received the LUCKNOW clasp.

As to the Masters and Boys of La Martiniere School. Only those who bore arms, the masters and 18 senior boys, received the IMM. The School itself, however, did receive the Battle Honour, Defence of Lucknow. Interestingly, Edward Hilton, one of the boys who chronicled their part in the Defence and published details of it in The Tourist's Guide to Lucknow, (first edition 1913?) apparently did NOT receive an IMM, though he states that he did.

Disgracefully excluded from the IMM were the women (and 'ladies' as those of superior status were termed) who did sterling service in the horrific and extremely dangerous conditions of the hospital. Apparent reason, they didn't 'bear arms.'

Best

Les W
Les Waring

Postby Verdmont » 07 Apr 2015 01:41

Lousada Barrow is a distant family member through the Lousada line. My family were military from about the late 18th century through to end WWII

I would be interested in reading his letters.
Verdmont

Postby CharlesVolkers » 28 May 2015 14:38

Ruuz Rees's book on the Siege of Lucknow refers to a 'Mr Volkers, a civilian' serving with Barrow's Volunteer Cavalry.Can anyone please tell me how I could find out who did serve in this unit and whether anybody has written a history of Barrow's Volunteer Cavalry?
Charles Volkers
CharlesVolkers

Postby mike snook » 28 May 2015 15:28

Hello Charles

Try:

My Journal or What I did and saw between the 9th of June and 25th Novembe, 1857, with an Account of General Havelock's March from Allahabad to Lucknow by A Volunteer.

It is dedicated to Barrow: 'The Kindest of friends and one of the company's best and bravest officers'. It was written by W.O. Swanston, 7th Madras NI. It is cheaply available in reprint form. There is an appendix listing the overthrown 'officers and gentlemen' and 'civilian' volunteers, including the ranks they held in Barrow's unit. It should not be forgotten however that his command (originally only 18-20 strong) was reinforced after the battle of Fatehpur with 40 men drawn from the infantry regiments of the column (who are not named by Swanston - a class thing I fear). These were armed and mounted with the steeds and kit taken from the disarmed irregular cavalry contingent commanded by Lt Palliser. Some while later Outram brought another 60 gentlemen volunteers up with him to join the squadron, which thereafter went at Lucknow with a strength in excess of 100. General Outram was himself (technically) a member of the corps, until 25 November. Famously he (or technically Barrow) led it in a charge, wielding his mallaca cane as a club. Being Outram he would doubtless have had a cheroot clenched between his teeth at the time. Who needs Clint Eastwood when we've got Sir James Outram!

Regards

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby CharlesVolkers » 28 May 2015 18:09

Mike,
Thank you. That was exactly what I needed!
Charles
CharlesVolkers

Postby CharlesVolkers » 05 Jun 2015 11:11

Mike,
I've thorughly enjoyed reading Swanston's account and did manage to find my Great Grandfather Frederick Volkers who served with the Volunteers.Big thank you!
Charles
CharlesVolkers

Postby mike snook » 05 Jun 2015 11:45

Excellent. It's a pleasure, Charles.

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Postby CharlesVolkers » 09 Jun 2015 21:49

Mike,
Was Barrow''s Cavalry involved in the Relief of Lucknow under Campbell, and as a second question is there a definitive list of those involved in the Siege? Ruutz Rees list is certainly incomplete.
CHarles
CharlesVolkers

Postby Les Waring » 09 Jun 2015 23:42

Charles

As you suggest, the Rees list is a very partial 'Officers, Gentlemen and Ladies' list from sources immediately available after the lifting of the Siege. Conspicuously missing are the majority of 'lower order' ODs, 'men', women (as opposed to ladies :o ) and children.

I've been working, for a number of years, on a 'definitive' list of 'Original Defenders' of the Lucknow Residency, from 30 June 1857, to the arrival of the Outram-Havelock 'Relief' force in September. See the forum on this topic on the Indian Mutiny thread. I believe that this is the most complete, though by no means definitive, and not published list yet compiled.

Of the approx. 3000 original ODs, I've identified, with great certainty, about 1550 of the 1700 ' European' ODs. The Indians are very difficult to identify, as most are identified only by their occupation in the various sources and a large number left the besieged Residency compound at various times during the Siege, ditto a significant number of the 'Native' troops who had remained loyal from the beginning of the Siege.

Having recently retired, I'm going to make one last effort to get a few more names before attempting publication. Any suggestions as to how the latter might best be done are hereby solicited.

Best

Les Waring.
Les Waring

Postby mike snook » 09 Jun 2015 23:45

Hello Charles

Barrow and his men were besieged with everybody else in Havelock's (Outram's) force. I believe the best man to advise you on complete and incomplete lists of defenders of Lucknow is Les Waring.

Regards

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Next

Return to Indian Mutiny 1857-59