Maj Gen Lousada Barrow

For all discussions relating to the Indian Mutiny of 1857-59.

Re:siege of Lucknow

Postby CharlesVolkers » 15 Jun 2015 20:45

Les (Waring)
Do you have any Volkers in your OD list? There should be one in Barrow's Cavalry but he would not have been an OD.
Charles (Volkers)
CharlesVolkers

Re: Maj Gen Lousada Barrow

Postby CharlesVolkers » 16 Jun 2015 15:20

Les,
Can you provide a link to your 'incomplete' list?
Charles
CharlesVolkers

Postby CharlesVolkers » 19 Jun 2015 20:06

Les,
Back to you as the acknowledged expert on the Siege and variuos Relief forces! Volkers is mentioned by Rees as one of the wounded Volunteer Cavalry and appears in Swanston's list of the Volunteer Cavalry but I can find no reference to him in the IMM Medal roles even though the unit is frequently mentioned as part of the Caqvalry Brigade and Edward Berrill, another civilian, was awarded the Relief and Lucknow clasps, or at least the accompanying refences authenticate the medal in the sales brochure. Are you able to throw any light on this? I suppose the complexity and often frustrating lack of corroborative evidence makes this period of history so fascinating for many of us.
Charles Volkers
CharlesVolkers

Postby Les Waring » 20 Jun 2015 14:29

Charles

I would make claims to some knowledge about the Siege and ODs but only have a general knowledge about the Relieving Forces. As you say, the info. is very complicated and often contradictory - it took me over 5 years, infrequency of visits to UK having some influence, to work out the names of the 49 men of the 84th Foot who were in the Residency from 30 June to 25th September, and I'm still not 100% sure of some.

Can you give me the page ref. in Rees to Volkers, my copy is the original 1858 edition, downloaded from Google Books (no longer possible in my 'teritory' apparently. He's not on the 'Survivors' list at the end of the book, will have to look him up in Gubbins', which I don't have immediately to hand.

Names on several lists are often misspelled or distorted (probably due to their having been heard rather than seen ) e.g. Mr J. Soule appears as 'Sarle' on Brig. Inglis' despatch list, probably due to his pronunciation - he was an American. And the Germano-Indian Schmidt, appears as Selimdt on some lists. I though maybe that Volkers had been misspelled as something like Foulkes, but haven't traced anyone of that name.

Some Europeans just don't appear on lists, especially if they were of the 'lower orders' or had no 'official' status - thus 'Chivers' , the Gubbins' maid, and Ramsey, the Polehamptons' American, male servant, as well as Father Bernard, the Catholic priest, only get mentions in memoirs/diaries etc. but not on lists.

As to the IMM medal lists, I only have the British Army lists, these are also available on the National Archives website. EIC and other India-based personnel lists are available at the British library, though I've never had a chance to consult them. Volunteer Cavalry were not considered to be 'Queen's' soldiers.

Not much help, I'm afraid, but I'll keep looking. Retirement does give you some freedom, but there are a lot of other calls on one's time.

As I pointed out on another thread, I haven't posted my list anywhere yet, so no 'links' available. I'm afraid I'm one of those types who refuse to publish until ALL the sources have been consulted and ALL the information gathered and processed, though I've realized that this will be impossible with this project. I'm, thus, toying with the idea of making a provisional list of the kind in Rees 'book -just names - available on internet, and would welcome advice as to the best way of doing this, not being very savvy in this direction.

Best

Les W.
Les Waring

Postby CharlesVolkers » 23 Jun 2015 09:07

Anyone interested in Lousada Barrow and his Volunteer Cavalry should of course read Swanston's account in "My Journal" but in addition I would strongly recommend the book by VA Stuart The Cannons of Lucknow which is an historical novel describing the Volunteer Cavalry"s role in the Havelock and Outram Relief Force.
Charles Volkers
CharlesVolkers

Previous

Return to Indian Mutiny 1857-59