Madras Fusiliers

For all discussions relating to the Indian Mutiny of 1857-59.

Madras Fusiliers

Postby David Davis » 21 Feb 2015 15:16

Gentlemen,

I am clutching at straws in my search for an ancestor of mine.

Andrew Andrews born c 1840 in Bucklebury, Berkshire.

It has been passed down through the family that he was a soldier in the Madras Fusiliers in the Indian Mutiny presumably in the late 1850's. He was recorded in the 1871 census as being a police constable in Reading.
Is there anyone who could help me trace this person and his army record or at least point me in the right direction.

Thanking you in anticipation

David Davis
David Davis

Re: Madras Fusiliers

Postby Les Waring » 21 Feb 2015 17:57

David

Don't have much , but there is certainly an Andrew Andrews (Reg. No. 1089) with the 3rd Madras Fusiliers as a wimmer of the Indian Mutiny Medal (IMM).

I believe that the British Library (London) has the records of the East India Company (EIC) employees, including troops.

Best

Les Waring
Les Waring

Postby Maureene » 22 Feb 2015 09:30

The soldier mentioned by Les has a record on Findmypast, although he was still in the Army until November 1875.
He joined the 3rd M .E.R. {Madras European Regiment] 5 August 1856, volunteered for the British Army, was discharged from the 108th Regiment of Foot at Nusseerabad, India. He was born Cripplegate, London. The transcription says born 1832, although I can't actually see this. His intending place of residence was Sydney.

This seems to be another person.

You could try the Registers of Madras Army European Soldiers, which are available either at the British Library, or on LDS (Mormon) microfilm. See the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Madras Army, section records
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Madras_Army#Records

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby mahgninnuC » 13 Sep 2015 21:37

G'day Maureen,

My GGGrandFather (shown in my avatar) was also member of the 3rd Madras European Fusiliers, I was wondering what information is actually held in the records?

I am just enquiring if it would be worth the time for the people at the office to process, if its only for a couple of dates.

Thoughts?

Kind Regards

Phil C
mahgninnuC

Postby Maureene » 14 Sep 2015 10:09

Registers of Army European Soldiers commenced c 1831 and were based on the muster roll data. I looked at some similar records for the Bengal Army some years ago. From memory they gave date of joining the East India Company, age, place of origin, date of any promotion, date ceased in army and cause eg death. Possibly also ship travelled to India. There are also separate embarkation records.

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Return to Indian Mutiny 1857-59