No. 2951 Private Edward Evans 89th Foot

For all discussions relating to the Crimean War of 1854-56.

No. 2951 Private Edward Evans 89th Foot

Postby Wayne finch » 30 Mar 2014 02:21

Hello All,

My name is Wayne Finch, and I have just joined this forum. I am searching for my ancestor's Crimea War medal with Sebastopol Clasp, which was last known to be in the possession of my Grandfather in 1953 in Cheltenham UK. Private Evans' name is inscribed on the Crimean War Memorial, outside of the Queens Hotel, Promenade, Cheltenham and he was my Great Great Great Uncle. He died of Febris at Scutari in 1855, and the medal was sent to his Mother, Mrs Dinah Evans with a letter from the War Dept dated 1857. If anyone has any idea of the whereabouts of the medal, PLEASE contact me as I would love to be able to purchase the medal and return it to the family collection

With grateful thanks,

WMF
Wayne finch

Re: No. 2951 Private Edward Evans 89th Foot

Postby Sheffsteve » 30 Mar 2014 12:22

My suggestion would be to join the British Medals Forum and ask there as well.

http://www.britishmedalforum.com/

Good luck.
Sheffsteve

Postby Wayne finch » 31 Mar 2014 22:36

Many thanks for that Steve....just joined
Wayne finch

Postby Wayne finch » 27 Dec 2016 21:54

Hello All,

Please can anyone tell me what sort of buttons Edward would have worn on his 89th Foot uniform, and where I may purchase one?

V/R

Wayne
Wayne finch

Postby Wayne finch » 29 Dec 2016 11:07

Hello All,

Still looking for Edward's original medal :( I have been told that it was almost certainly officially engraved by the Royal Mint, and the collection of the War Office Letter to his Mother Mrs Dinah Evans dated 1857, the medal, and the Daguerreotype photo of him would be highly desirable to a collector. According to an expert on the British Medals Forum, there is no record of it being sold. I have asked the only family members who would have an inkling about the collection, and they all deny knowing anything. A complete mystery!

I have managed to 'replicate' the collection by purchasing a genuine un-named Crimea Medal with Sebastopol Clasp, and a suitable Daguerreotype photo frame which now contains a 'Photoshop' picture of Edward. Please can anyone tell me/show me an example of the letter from the War Office?

I'm still desperate to find the original collection however, and I just wish my Grandfather was still alive so he could tell me what he did with it!

V/R

Wayne
Wayne finch

Return to Crimean War 1854-56