British Regulations for the Port of Balaclava

For all discussions relating to the Crimean War of 1854-56.

British Regulations for the Port of Balaclava

Postby Liz » 04 Nov 2011 03:27

A copy of the regulations for the Port of Balaclava signed by Edward Boxer, Rear Admiral and Senior Officer, at Diamond, Balaclava on 10 May 1855 has ended up... at the Australian War Memorial, of all places! The regulations comprise one folio 30 cm x 39 cm and have not yet been digitised, but watch this space: http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/PR87/061
Liz
Forum Moderator

Re: British Regulations for the Port of Balaclava

Postby Heritage » 08 Jun 2016 20:11

Hello Liz.

Thanks for this post. I now have received from the Australian War Memorial, personal records archive staff, a copy of the above order. [Public Domain material] And very interesting it is, re the congested harbour Balaklava was early May 1855.

While Kerrie claims there appeared to be no other related papers in the anonymously donated collection of papers it is catalogued under, I'm assuming the order may have originally been part of other material held in Australian Archives.

It is dated at the time that Captain Arthur SHARP entered the harbour in command of the renamed Baraguay d'Hilliers [while under charter to the French (EDIT 1/7/2016 House of Commons reports would indicate otherwise, to the assumptions contained in various other web commentaries)] but built for Duncan DUNBAR in Burma in 1852 and named the Hougoumont. Indeed Lloyds annual publication never got to notate the temporary name change, of possibly some two years. Nor does it notate Captain SHARP as having done a Crimean trip as it's commander.

While in port Captain SHARP wrote to his Brother and Sister in Launceston, Tasmania. A rather poor quality photo copy off the original, is held by the State Library Victoria. A copy of which I'm working on transcribing.

The letter is quoted in a letter to the editor of the Launcheston Examiner 8-9-1855, page 5, and what is of interest to me for further research, is Captain SHARP'S reference to travelling overland through France to take up his command.

The subject for further discussion and advice, when I get a chance to post more.

Regards,

Alan.
Last edited by Heritage on 02 Jul 2016 01:03, edited 2 times in total.
Heritage

Postby Heritage » 29 Jun 2016 00:43

vw-British Regsulations Port Balaklava May 1855a.jpg
vw-British Regsulations Port Balaklava May 1855a.jpg (105.45 KiB) Viewed 315 times
vw-British Regsulations Port Balaklava May 1855a.jpg
vw-British Regsulations Port Balaklava May 1855a.jpg (105.45 KiB) Viewed 315 times
Hello again.

Will try to post a re-sized copy of the regulations. At first attempt my images were deemed too large.

The Australian War Memorial advise that the material is free for general use.

This link to the New Zealand pages re the Edwin Fox has a photo of the harbour / port of Balaklava at that time, that illustrates the congestion. Interestingly it reports that in November 1854 a severe storm did un-tolled damage to the fleet that was in the harbour. However my interest, the Baraguay d'Hilliers, along with many other engaged transport ships were preparing to leave UK posts, just like the Edwin Fox that followed. Like the Edwin Fox, the Baraguay d'Hilliers was reported arriving back at UK ports in late October 1855.

http://www.nzmaritime.co.nz/edwinfox.htm

PM if you would like a higher resolution copy of the posted images.

Alan.
Attachments
vw-British Regsulations Port Balaklava May 1855c.jpg
vw-British Regsulations Port Balaklava May 1855c.jpg (26.98 KiB) Viewed 315 times
vw-British Regsulations Port Balaklava May 1855b.jpg
vw-British Regsulations Port Balaklava May 1855b.jpg (99.32 KiB) Viewed 315 times
Heritage

Postby Heritage » 02 Jul 2016 00:58

Hello again.

Sorry about the poor attempt to attach the images. Don't know how to correct so will leave to Mark.

If shipping logistics etc with regard to this harbour, while under British management, are of interest to your research, the various reports to the House of Commons contained in this 1854 - 1855 year report will be of great interest. There is a lot of detail. Unfortunately, I've yet to find similar reports for the 1855 year within Google Books programme.

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=AqN ... rt&f=false

Alan.

PS. An earlier copy of the Port Regulations, dated March 6th are contained within the reports above.
Heritage

Return to Crimean War 1854-56