Tenth in the Crimea

For all discussions relating to the Crimean War of 1854-56.

Tenth in the Crimea

Postby rclpillinger » 26 Feb 2017 15:46

I am at present slowly putting together a "Regimental Timeline" to note the major events in the history of the Tenth Royal Hussars, for my website http://www.majorpillinger.com

Given that the Tenth didn't arrive in the Crimea until well into 1855, having come from India where they were late in being summonsed and then having to march from Suez to Alexandria, where there seems little hurry to embark, would I be right in saying that the Regiment did not take part in full in any major battle. Although having received Crimea medals with a Sebastopol clasp, it seems to me that they were only employed here as flank guards, and in most other actions only one or two troops took part in each at any one time.

I would be very interested in hearing opinions.

Richard
rclpillinger

Re: Tenth in the Crimea

Postby almaboy » 26 Feb 2017 21:08

Richard

You are generally correct in your assumption that the 10th were not engaged in any major actions. They arrived in the Crimea in mid-April 1855 and were almost immediately put to work on picquet duty and transporting stores from Balaklava for the main army.

Particular problems were encountered with their horses, being for the most part of Arab stock and generally of a vicious temperament. Several injuries to the troopers occurred as a result, due to the horses being stabled adjacent to one another in the open. At least 2 men died as a direct result of being kicked by these horses.

Some casualties did occur, several men were taken POW whilst on detachment at Kertch, but almost all the fatal casualties were as a result of disease, which ravaged the Regt on its arrival.

I recommend downloading this for a full picture of the Regiments activities in India and the Crimea:
https://archive.org/details/soldieringinsuns00dougrich

Tony.
almaboy

Re: Tenth in the Crimea

Postby rclpillinger » 26 Feb 2017 22:09

Thanks Tony for that confirmation. I have got the book Soldiering in Sunshine and Storm, but I just wondered if that covered the whole story. Sometimes I think personal accounts written several years after the fact tend to gloss over events.

Richard
rclpillinger

Return to Crimean War 1854-56