French Legion of Honor

For all discussions relating to the Crimean War of 1854-56.

French Legion of Honor

Postby dianejar » 19 Feb 2017 10:39

Hello Listers

Private #2482 Peter Starkey (variations: Starkie, Sterkey, Sharkey) of the 41st Regiment was awarded the Crimea War Medal (clasps Alma, Inkermann and Sebastopol) recorded in WO100-29 and the Turkish Crimea Medal.

However, his WO97 Chelsea Pension Discharge (page 1) records that he also received the French Legion of Honor. I have searched the Wikipedia list of recipients as well as the London Gazette search engine (which one of your members described as capricious!). Just in case the Army Clerk confused it with the French Military Medal, I checked the recipients of that in L L Gordon's "British Badges & Medals" and he was not recorded there either.

I cannot find Private Starkey's name anywhere associated with this medal anywhere. As I have been known to miss the obvious, has anyone got any suggestions. I have attached a screen shot excerpt of WO97 p.1 with the relevant entry.

Diane
dianejar

Re: French Legion of Honor

Postby dianejar » 19 Feb 2017 11:34

Hello again Listers

I am not sure if I am allowed to reply to my own post. But I don't know another way of adding an Addendum to what I have previously posted.

I finally found Private Starkey with yet another surname variation on a list of names for this medal:

[b]STOCKEY, Lance-Corporal Peter 41st Regiment. [/b] You will notice he is recorded here as a Lance-Corporal - which was his rank during the Crimean War. He was reduced in rank post-Crimea and discharged as a Private.

Sorry to have answered my own query!

Diane
dianejar

Return to Crimean War 1854-56