Omar Pasha

For all discussions relating to the Crimean War of 1854-56.

Omar Pasha

Postby Uncle Bulgaria » 02 Feb 2017 09:50

I would like any information on the Turkish commander, Omar Pasha, he helped the forces during the encampments in and around Varna.

Thanks in advance Ian
Uncle Bulgaria

Re: Omar Pasha

Postby Mark A. Reid » 02 Feb 2017 15:23

Hello Ian;

I am not aware of any substantial, English-language biography on Omar Pasha. This is most unfortunate as he led an intriguing life full of adventure and almost unparalled success. He is mentioned quite often by British soldiers in the Crimea of course but little is recorded of his many later campaigns.

Part of this may be due to the perceived excesses he ordered/allowed when he was recalled to put an end to the Cretan revolt in 1866-68. Western newspapers, already somewhat biased in favour of the Greek cause on the island, presented a somewhat unbalanced view of the war. Neither side had a monopoly on atrocities but the final Ottoman solution to end the revolt was medieval in its cruelty and detracted from the hard-won laurels which Omar had garnered during most of his military career. Perhaps Western readers didn't want to be reminded that he had been born and educated as a Christian?

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Mark A. Reid » 28 Apr 2017 16:00

Many thanks for bringing these accounts to our collective attention, maxnechitaylov. I was particularly interested in the account of his brother re-establishing contact between Omar Pasha and his family who thought he had been dead for many years. Quite instructive as to how the various authors describe his " departure " from Austrian service, some mention he grew bored of survey work whilst others suggest he was fleeing charges of corruption. I seem to recall another writer who used the word " desert! " Thanks again.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby maxnechitaylov » 28 Apr 2017 23:38

charges of corruption

His father, according to Kovalevsky:
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id= ... 1up;seq=80
maxnechitaylov

Return to Crimean War 1854-56