Map of Battle Positions at Battles of Alma and Inkerman

For all discussions relating to the Crimean War of 1854-56.

Map of Battle Positions at Battles of Alma and Inkerman

Postby TrevorHH » 16 Dec 2016 14:49

Hi All

Can someone help please. There is a local story (which maybe a myth) in Wantage, where I live that Robert Lloyd-Lindsey VC (later Lord Wantage) planted trees and plantations at his estate at Lockinge in the formations of the troops at the Battles of Alma and/or Inkerman where he won his VC.

The only way to prove this would be to compare O/S maps of today against the positions of the troops at the time during these battles particularly the Scots (Fusilier) Guards which was Lord Wantage's regiment. Does anyone have any such maps please that they could let me see.

I write a monthly column in our local newspaper about local history and am thinking this could be a topic for my next story.

Many thanks
Trevor
TrevorHH

Re: Map of Battle Positions at Battles of Alma and Inkerman

Postby almaboy » 19 Dec 2016 20:55

Trevor

He won his VC for carrying the colours at Alma. A small Colour Party stood firm in front of the main Russian entrenchment whilst the remainder of the Bttn reformed, they having been thrown back in disarray by the retreat of elements of the Light Divn.
Legend has it that the flagstaff was almost shot in two and the flag itself was riddled with holes, but Lindsay remained unharmed.
I'm guessing if the story is true he would have planted out trees to denote the positions of the 3 Bttns of Guards present, viz Coldstreams to the left, Scots Fusilier Gds (Lindsays Bttn) in the centre and Grenadiers to the right, which is how they advanced having crossed the river.

There are numerous contemporary maps which show the relative positions of the British Infantry at Alma, and all are slightly different! I have attached one sent back from the Crimea as part of Lord Raglans despatch to Queen Victoria. Drawn by an officer of the Royal Engineers, it is considered to be a pretty accurate representation of the battlefield. The British are at the top drawn up in double lines with Lindsay's 1st Divn at top right.
DSC05702 - Copy.JPG
DSC05702 - Copy.JPG (133.84 KiB) Viewed 187 times

The second drawing shows where Lindsay and other elements of his Bttn ended up having crossed the river.
DSC06001 - Copy.JPG
DSC06001 - Copy.JPG (123.9 KiB) Viewed 187 times

Tony.
almaboy

Re: Map of Battle Positions at Battles of Alma and Inkerman

Postby TrevorHH » 20 Dec 2016 10:18

Tony

Thank you for these maps. They are exactly what I was looking for. I will have a look at them over Christmas and compare them with various scales of O/S maps and get back to the forum.

Kind regards

Trevor
TrevorHH

Return to Crimean War 1854-56