Stop Press! Light Brigade mystery solved

For all discussions relating to the Crimean War of 1854-56.

Re: Stop Press! Light Brigade mystery solved

Postby jf42 » 22 Dec 2016 12:54

I am a little confused but that name rang a bell. I gather we are discussing the author of 'Victorians at War 1815-1914. An Encyclopedia of British Military History.''

Reviewed at Amazon thusly-

5.0 out of 5 stars "An Amazing Encyclopedia"

By History Enthusiast on 20 April 2009

Format: Hardcover

"The Victorians at War, 1815-1914, . . ., is by our distinguished US member, academic and former serving soldier, Lieutenant Colonel Harold Raugh, PhD, FRHistS. This is an amazing encyclopedia of British military history running from `Abu Klea' to `Zululand' with four appendices, a comprehensive bibliography and index. . . . It is an excellent reference work which should be on the shelves of every serious military historian."
-Major Colin Robins, O.B.E., F.R.Hist.S., The War Correspondent, Journal of the Crimean War Research Society, July 2006.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Re: Stop Press! Light Brigade mystery solved

Postby grumpy » 22 Dec 2016 15:39

This is a well-drifted thread, to which drift I will add a little. I have carefully read Raugh's and History Enthusiast's reviews. In my opinion [as a six-times published author, and contributor of many magazine articles, all of which received universal acclaim] the reviews are well written and make many telling points.
As to their target book "Beyond the Reach ..." there is no chance that I can check the reviews for fairness because the subject material is of little interest.
I give the reviews 4 stars as literature, spiced with much-needed humour.
grumpy
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to Crimean War 1854-56