Coldstream Guards Photographs in Crimea?

For all discussions relating to the Crimean War of 1854-56.

Coldstream Guards Photographs in Crimea?

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 11 Oct 2016 15:45

Hi! I'm hoping that someone can suggest any good sites or books that might show photos of the Coldstream Guards in the Crimea? I've been doing online searches for Roger Fenton photos, but a lot of sites have only thumbnail sized photos or are no longer available. Does anyone have any suggestions for a place to have a look at them?

Thanks!
Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Re: Coldstream Guards Photographs in Crimea?

Postby Larmo » 11 Oct 2016 17:17

Hi Sarah

Yes, please try this link https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/coll ... ch#/page/1 There are some amazing images archived here, of many photographic artists to include Roger Fenton..

Larry

PS, sorry, I thought this link would take you directly to the page I visited. I simply type the word Crimea in the search box and several selections will be offered, one with over 1200 images available for view.
Larmo

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 11 Oct 2016 18:52

Hi, Larry!

That is a great link, and I really appreciate it. I'm over there browsing now, and it's actually given me two things that I was looking for! Wow!

There is a most fabulous photograph of the grave of the eight Coldstream Guards officers who fell at Inkerman. Capt. Granville Eliot was one of those eight officers, and I've been researching him for about a year. The picture is a great find! I'm trying really hard to find a picture of him, so I thought it's worth a shot to go through some Coldstream Guards photos.

Thanks again! And if anyone else has any other great links, I'm still very interested. :)
Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 11 Oct 2016 19:07

Anyone have any ideas of the regiment or group that these fellows belong to?
https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/search#/7/collection/2500650/group-outside-a-hut
BingandNelsonFan

Postby colsjt65 » 11 Oct 2016 21:28

https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/coll ... side-a-hut

When you zoom in you can see that they are wearing Grenadier Guards badges on their caps.
colsjt65

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 11 Oct 2016 22:43

colsjt65 wrote:
https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/coll ... side-a-hut

When you zoom in you can see that they are wearing Grenadier Guards badges on their caps.

Appreciate that! Thanks!
BingandNelsonFan

Postby Larmo » 12 Oct 2016 00:01

Hi Sarah

Happy the link proved productive for you, I have used it many times and find the photography excellent.

I posed a question regarding the proximity of Captain Barker's W battery to the 93rd during the Thin Red Line business...any help there?

ATB

Larry
Larmo

Postby jf42 » 12 Oct 2016 02:21

Larmo wrote:Hi Sarah

I posed a question regarding the proximity of Captain Barker's W battery to the 93rd during the Thin Red Line business...any help there?

ATB

Larry

Larry , the topic comes up at various points in this meditation from 2014 on the question of guns defending Balaklava

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9721&hilit=+position
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby jf42 » 12 Oct 2016 02:53

BingandNelsonFan wrote:Hi! I'm hoping that someone can suggest any good sites or books that might show photos of the Coldstream Guards in the Crimea? I've been doing online searches for Roger Fenton photos, but a lot of sites have only thumbnail sized photos or are no longer available. Does anyone have any suggestions for a place to have a look at them?

Thanks!
Sarah

This page has photographs of both the Grenadier and the Coldstream Guards in a range of orders of dress while encamped at Scutari in 1854. Top photo is of the Grenadiers and lower the Coldstream.

http://www.florence-nightingale-avengin ... cutari.htm
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby Larmo » 12 Oct 2016 13:37

Thank you JF42, that is exactly what I needed....

Larry
Larmo

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 13 Oct 2016 13:56

jf42 wrote:This page has photographs of both the Grenadier and the Coldstream Guards in a range of orders of dress while encamped at Scutari in 1854. Top photo is of the Grenadiers and lower the Coldstream.

http://www.florence-nightingale-avengin ... cutari.htm

Thanks so much! That's a great photo! I've also found a number of great ones on the Royal Collection Trust link from an earlier post. Anything having to do with the Coldstream Guards out there is most appreciated.

Does anyone know of a book that would give an idea of the life of the Coldstream Guards while in the Crimea?

Thanks!
Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Postby Larmo » 13 Oct 2016 16:18

Hi Sarah

There are numerous listings on EBAY for a book entitled The Coldstream Guards in the Crimea, by John Foster George.

I'll likely order a copy myself.

Larry
Larmo

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 13 Oct 2016 21:54

Thanks! I'll have a look for that one. Sounds great. Being in the US, the Crimean War is not a very hot topic over here! :)
BingandNelsonFan

Return to Crimean War 1854-56