Royal Marines in Crimean War

For all discussions relating to the Crimean War of 1854-56.

Royal Marines in Crimean War

Postby dianejar » 11 May 2016 03:24

Hello Listers

I am seeking clarification about Baltic & Crimea War Medals awarded Royal Marines. I have around six RMs who came to Western Australia in the late 1850's. I have found medal roll entries for them on ships involved in the Crimean War: Baltic, Black Sea, Kertch and Sea of Azoff. However, upon examination of these men's service records, the ships they served on in the Crimean War (as stated on the medal roll) are NOT listed in the men's service records as time afloat and thus not counted towards his service time. I do not understand the process involved in the RM's being awarded Crimea Medals. I have even found a Crimea medal awarded a man who was discharged in 1852, before the Russian War started!

Can anyone enlighten me? I do have access to the service papers and medal roll images of those in question.

Diane Oldman
dianejar

Re: Royal Marines in Crimean War

Postby crimea1854 » 11 May 2016 13:59

Royal Marines have always proved a little difficult to trace, but all I can suggest with regards to any man awarded a Baltic Medal is that he served on one of the many gunboats. For the purpose of the Muster Books and medal rolls these boats were attached to a parent ship and the man would have appeared on this roll, since rolls weren't kept for individual gunboats. That said the man would have been likely to have been part of the RMA rather than the RMLI in this particular instance.

If you can provide a list of names I'll have a look at the roll and see if anything jumps out at me.

While typing this I have thought of another possibility. In my collection I have an officially impressed medal to a RM Sgt. who, according to the medal roll, was on HMS London. After a little research it turned out that he only took passage home on her following his service at Thepia Hospital. As with your men there is no mention of London on his service record.

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby dianejar » 14 May 2016 09:22

Thanks for responding Martin. Here are some names:

Edward GLOVER, Chatham Division, Baltic Medal on 'Euryclus'.
Robert MELVILLE, Plymouth Division, Crimea Ward Medal on "Royal Albert".
Charles OAKLEY, Portsmouth Division, Crimea War Medal on "Royal Albert".
Thomas HAYTER, Plymouth Division, Crimea War Medal on "Albion".
Robert JANES, unknown division, Baltic Medal on "Magicienne".

Of course the other problem is the commonality of surnames .... the medal rolls give no indication of age or birthplace to match up with service documents adequately.

Please don't waste too much time and effort on this.

Diane O.
dianejar

Postby crimea1854 » 27 May 2016 13:58

Diane I would have replied sooner, but until today have been unable to access the Forum.

I've looked at the medal roll, and apart from Melville all the rest served in the RN not Royal Marines.

Chas Oakley - Ordinary Seaman
Thomas Hayter - Able Seaman
Robert Janes - Gunner
Edward Glover - Quarter Master

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby dianejar » 27 May 2016 14:38

Hey Martin

Thank you so much for your trouble. It seems the commonality of names has struck again. Too many people in the same time and place. I will eliminate them from my enquiries.

Thank goodness for the good folks that help out on these forums.

Regards,
Diane
dianejar

Return to Crimean War 1854-56