Royal Patriotic Fund

For all discussions relating to the Crimean War of 1854-56.

Royal Patriotic Fund

Postby dianejar » 25 Jan 2016 07:21

Hello Listers

I am aware that the Royal Patriotic Fund was raised in 1854 to assist dependants of fallen soldiers and that it was enshrined in law in 1867. I have not read anywhere that wounded veterans of the Crimean War received assistance from this Fund. Yet, a very large proportion of WO97 Chelsea Pension records of military pensioners in Western Australia have a notation (usually on page 4) 'Pat Fund'.

I do not know if they benefited from the fund in some way, or whether they subscribed to the fund.

If they subscribed, does anyone know the process for this .......
Did they make a voluntary payment directly to the fund? Or was it an arbitrary amount deducted from their pension?

If they benefited from the fund, how did it work?

Diane O.
dianejar

Re: Royal Patriotic Fund

Postby Rusteze » 26 Jan 2016 16:53

This is an extract from the RPF Select Committee Minutes of Evidence 10 May 1895. You will see that the main Crimea Fund only supported widows and orphans but there was also a fund for Light Brigade Chargers that did pay "some" survivors of the charge. There is much debate in the minutes about the income derived from the original capital amounts given and whether funds remained healthy. Surviving Crimea veterans did not contribute from their pensions so it is unclear what the note on their service papers signifies other than perhaps their dependants would be eligible when they died.

Steve
Rusteze

Postby dianejar » 29 Jan 2016 02:00

Thanks Rusteze.

I think this one may have to remain a mystery. I am about to start rechecking all the WO97 discharge documents I have and listing those men with the comment 'Pat Fund'. I have already discovered that some have the comment 'Relief From Pat Fund'. All have a an alpha/numeric reference preceding the entry, which I assume is a War Office file reference of some kind. Each one is different. I have previously queried what these references refer to with the National Archives, but no one seems to know. As they precede almost all entries on the last page of the discharge document, I can only assume it is a file or correspondence reference given to each entry.

Once I have listed all the occurrences of this 'Pat Fund' note, a pattern may emerge, but I am not holding my breath. Get in touch again if anything else occurs to you.

Diane O.
dianejar

Postby dianejar » 31 Jan 2016 06:46

Good-day Listers, especially Rusteze

I have now seen a notation 'Lloyds Patr. Fund' on page 4 of a WO97 Chelsea Pension discharge document. This charitable organisation was raised in 1803 during the Napoleonic Wars and continues to support servicemen and their families today. The difficulty is, of course, that there may be other charities which used the title 'Patriotic Fund" and it will be impossible to discover to which these notations refer.

I am continually frustrated with my lack of knowledge about Army processes ..... think I will go back to "Kipling's Army" for some light relief!

Diane O.
dianejar

Return to Crimean War 1854-56