John Willoughby

For all discussions relating to the Crimean War of 1854-56.

John Willoughby

Postby rclpillinger » 06 Sep 2015 21:00

Can anyone tell me anything about this fine looking Tenth Hussars.

John Willoughby attended the Old Comrades Dinner at the Holburn Restaurant on Tuesday June 3rd 1913. In his proposal of the Toast of "The Colonels, Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers and Men of the Regiment" Viscount Valentia said "We have even got two veterans who served in the Crimea amongst us, Mr Crone and John Willoughby. We are very proud to see them here tonight, and I think, although the young men who join the Regiment now may be better instructed and may drink less, yet at the same time we all belong to the same Regiment, and they can never say they are better than us."

This photograph is prominent in the report of the dinner,

As a matter of interest, the menu was Croute-au-Pot, Andalouse Cream, Boiled Turbot with Hollandaise Sauce, Whitebait, Larded Fillet of Beef a la Broche, Chateau Potatoes, French Beans Maitre d'Hotel, Roast Chicken with Watercress Salad,
"X R H" Pudding, Strawberry and Vanilla Ice, Wafers, Dessert.

Sorry, accents missing, no French spellcheck on the forum I think)
Attachments
Willoughby.JPG
Willoughby.JPG (163.79 KiB) Viewed 459 times
rclpillinger

Re: John Willoughby

Postby almaboy » 10 Sep 2015 09:40

I think we may be looking at an old soldier 'gilding the lily here'!

Willoughby did indeed serve in the 10th Hussars, but he didn't go to the Crimea with his Regt, so he could not have earned the two medals he is wearing, and he is not on the roll for them.
His service papers have survived and show he spent just over 1 year abroad in the East indies. It appears he suffered intermittently for epilepsy throughout his service and was eventually discharged as a result in 1856.

So either the paper put the wrong name on the picture, or Willoughby was a bit of a romancer!
Nice picture nevertheless.
Tony.
almaboy

Re: John Willoughby

Postby rclpillinger » 18 Oct 2015 19:28

This sounds rather as if he was inflating his own importance, and might explain my Grandfather's take on the welcome being somewhat tongue-in-cheek; something I have always found a little out of character when he was writing about former comrades.

Interestingly enough it might seem that his name has suddenly come up again in a rather oblique setting. The daily report on the headlines of the Daily Telegraph newspaper from the corresponding period of the first World War reported on Thursday that a meeting was held in the city of London that rather seemed to have been organised to whinge at the government of the day for allowing zeppelin attacks on the city of London; and who was presiding, none other than Lord Willoughby de Broke. I am assuming this was the same chap pictured above, although I may be wrong, and if so, my sincere apologies.

I think you can probably read about it at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ww1-archive

Richard
rclpillinger

Return to Crimean War 1854-56