34th Regiment of Foot at Savastapol - Capt Edward Marsh

For all discussions relating to the Crimean War of 1854-56.

34th Regiment of Foot at Savastapol - Capt Edward Marsh

Postby researchingreg » 05 Sep 2015 18:38

The 34th landing on the 9th December 1854 in Crimea, had to suffer terrible hardship during the winter months around Sevastopol and lost many of their number as a result of ill health, and in battle. My wife's 4th Great Uncle Captain Edward Herman Marsh, gained the Crimea Medal with the Sevastapol Clasp. However it shows that he served at Sevastapol from 9 Dec 1854 to 20 Feb 1855, which means he would have missed the Russian Sortie of 22nd March 1855 when the 34th played a prominent part. Lieutenant-Colonel Richard Denis Kelly narrowly escaped death and was taken prisoner in this action. Then later in the best known action in the siege of Sevastopol that happened on the 18th June 1855, the anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo. Two main Russian defences were to be attacked on this day. The Malakoff and the Redan. The French were allocated the Malakoff and the British had to storm up to the Redan. The regiments selected for the attack were the 7th, 33rd, 88th, 34th, 57th and the Rifle Brigade, 800 in all, led by Sir John Campbell. The Russians had positioned extra guns in the night, loaded with grapeshot, so when the attack began in the early hours of the 18th the fire-storm directed at the advancing men was horrific. The CO of the 57th was killed and Campbell put himself at their front, leading the attack with Colonel Yea of the 7th. They were well in front of the body of men and both killed. The number of officer casualties was high which demoralised the men and they pulled back from the impenetrable Russian volleys having suffered the loss of nearly half their number. Only two officers of the 34th escaped injury or death. So would Capt Marsh be counted as one of these officers or would he have left Crimea after 20 Feb 1855, or would he have been in hospital? How do I find out? I have a photo of him in uniform with the Crimea Medal
Captain Marsh was obviously still with the 34th, because he was later serving with them in India at Cawnpore and Lucknow in 1857 and received the Indian Mutiny medal with the Lucknow clasp, and was not shown on a retirement list until 1881.
researchingreg

Re: 34th Regiment of Foot at Savastapol - Capt Edward Marsh

Postby almaboy » 10 Sep 2015 13:59

According to the Army List 1855, Lieut Edward Marsh was promoted Captain without purchase 19th June 1855, the day after the costly attack on The Redan. His promotion without purchase signifies that he filled a vacancy left as a result of Officer casualties sustained the previous day. This would have been backdated, as at the time of the assault he was at the Regt Depot in England, having left the Crimea on 20th February 1855 on a medical certificate.

Tony.
almaboy

Postby researchingreg » 11 Sep 2015 16:58

Tony

Thanks for the reply. So he was off sick as I thought after 20 Feb 1855, missing a lot of the action.

Geoff
researchingreg

Postby Swordswoman » 01 Feb 2016 13:08

Hello, Geoff,

Apologies for the very late response to this, but I've been away from the forum for a while and have only just seen the thread.

I only wanted to check you knew that the KORBR museum in Carlisle is holding transcripts (and perhaps originals) of three of E.H. Marsh's letters from the Crimea - dated 11th November 1854, 12th January 1855, and 1st February 1855. I'd guess you're well aware of this and probably hold the originals in the family, but if not, I do have transcripts I could send you.

All best,
Louise
Swordswoman
Participating Member

Postby researchingreg » 06 Feb 2016 17:26

Swordswoman wrote:Hello, Geoff,

Apologies for the very late response to this, but I've been away from the forum for a while and have only just seen the thread.

I only wanted to check you knew that the KORBR museum in Carlisle is holding transcripts (and perhaps originals) of three of E.H. Marsh's letters from the Crimea - dated 11th November 1854, 12th January 1855, and 1st February 1855. I'd guess you're well aware of this and probably hold the originals in the family, but if not, I do have transcripts I could send you.

All best,
Louise

Louise

Thanks for the post. We do not have the letters or transcripts of them. Could you please let me have transcripts. Thanks in anticipation.

Geoff
researchingreg

Postby Swordswoman » 08 Feb 2016 03:00

Hello, Geoff,

Will do - but please don't expect too much! I only have the first page of a letter to his parents, then two complete letters to his brother Theodore - a total of 5 pages in all. The transcripts I have are bad (and sometimes crooked) photocopies of blurry carbon copies of original typewritten documents, with a few omissions marked in by hand. I find them perfectly legible, but as aesthetic objects they leave a lot to be desired.

I've scanned them into my computer in order to enhance them digitally as far as possible, and will now try uploading a page here to give you the general idea - and in case anyone else is interested. The file limit here is 1MiB so it probably won't be very legible, but if you still think you'd like them then just PM me an email address and I'll send them along as attachments.

Here's the first (and only) page of the letter to his parents:

Marsh 1 resized (2).jpg
Part of letter from E.H. Marsh 11th November 1854
Marsh 1 resized (2).jpg (111.12 KiB) Viewed 592 times

Let me know if you'd like me to post any more, or where and how to send the whole lot.

Louise
Swordswoman
Participating Member

Postby researchingreg » 08 Feb 2016 11:30

Louise

Thanks for the reply, The letter you posted up was most interesting. I did not know he had a brother called Theodore, I know about his other 5 brothers and 3 sisters and would be interested to find out about him.

I have PM'd you with my contact details

Thanks again

Geoff
researchingreg

Postby Swordswoman » 10 Feb 2016 01:15

Hello, Geoff,

I'm afraid I still haven't received a PM. Are your settings okay, or would you like to try again?

I'll post the other pages here so you can at least read the content, and have cropped the two half-pages to get better resolution within the 700 pixel limit. Still, an email attachment would give you more than 70% as much again.

Marsh 2 resized.jpg
Marsh 2 resized.jpg (115.93 KiB) Viewed 566 times

Marsh 3 resized.jpg
Marsh 3 resized.jpg (106.5 KiB) Viewed 566 times

Marsh 4 resized.jpg
Marsh 4 resized.jpg (130.48 KiB) Viewed 566 times

Marsh 5 resized.jpg
Marsh 5 resized.jpg (94.39 KiB) Viewed 566 times

The last letter reveals one significant fact about Theodore - that he's an ordained priest looking for a new curacy. Charles and Louisa you'll already know about.

Fingers crossed the email address comes through this time...

Louise
Swordswoman
Participating Member

Postby researchingreg » 10 Feb 2016 15:25

Louise

Thanks for the reply. I now know that Theodore Henry Marsh was Edwards Brother. He was Rector of Cawston in 1871.

I have PM'd you again with my contact details. I hope it works this time. Thanks for posting up the letters.

Geoff
researchingreg

Return to Crimean War 1854-56