Family history - 12th Regiment NZ

For all discussions relating to the Maori (New Zealand) Wars of 1845-72.

Family history - 12th Regiment NZ

Postby markva » 20 Feb 2014 05:23

I am helping a friend research her families history and have found one of her ancestors, James Granger, in New Zealand. One of his sons obituary states that James was a veteran of the Indian Mutiny and Maori Wars. After searching Papers Past for mentions of him in old NZ newspapes I found a list of those killed and wounded at Rangiriri and James is listed with a severe flesh wound of the thigh. This also told me he was in the 12th Regiment. I did some googling on the 12th Reg and found that they were sent to NZ from Tasmania. I also found a short mention of him being assaulted in Tasmania "a private belonging to 12th regiment" before he transferred to NZ (in Trove).
James was born in Ireland according to his marriage certificate.
After this long introduction , what I would like to know if whether there are surviving army records for the 12th Regiment - to find out where James was from in Ireland. Also details about where and what he was involved in in India. I read somewhere that the 12th reg returned to England after the Maori wars - does this mean James returned to England and then at a later date came back to NZ where he married in 1874, or would some of the soldiers have remained in NZ.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Mark
markva

Re: Family history - 12th Regiment NZ

Postby colsjt65 » 20 Feb 2014 10:01

Hi Mark
Welcome to the forum. Ever day I am still amazed at the knowledge that is given so freely by the incredible people on here.

If you look in the Maori Wars threads you will find quite a lot already on the 12th.
My postings in http://www.victorianwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=7008 answer some of it.

Cheers
colsjt65

Postby markva » 21 Feb 2014 05:28

Thanks so much for your help colsjt65.

The information on the other post gives some helpful background to the 12th reg. in NZ.

I'm going to try to get access to the book "Discharged in New Zealand" which may answer the question about whether James Granger returned to England or remained in NZ.

What about records regarding individual soldiers, such as where they were born (possibly recorded when they joined), where and when they enlisted, etc.; do you know if these survive for the 12th regiment and if so where they are located.

Regards
Mark
markva

Postby sutton1987 » 27 Mar 2014 18:17

Mark,
1. The only man in the 12th Foot medal roll is 22 Pte James Grainger no man named Granger.

2. If this is your man he certainly was in Tasmania in 1861.

3. He served in NZ 1863-66 and was discharged in 11/11/1867 but not stated where he was discharged. If his medal was issued it was probably an undated medal.

4. No trace of him in the Indian Mutiny medal rolls under Grainger or Granger and the 12th Regt did not serve in Indian Mutiny however soldiers of this period often transferred between regiments so not impossible but it appears unlikely.

Hope this helps.

Mike
sutton1987

Postby Banker » 29 Mar 2014 06:41

In addition to the above he did not appear to be with the 12th Regt at The Eureka Stockade.

Regards Steve
Researcher of Australians at War and Collector of Victorian Campaign Medals
Banker

Return to Maori Wars 1845-66