Where to start?

For all discussions relating to the Maori (New Zealand) Wars of 1845-72.

Re: Where to start?

Postby des from down under » 17 Apr 2015 06:54

heh josh, a good place to start is to learn the haka..all the best des
des from down under

Postby colsjt65 » 21 Apr 2015 21:32

I see that the National library of New Zealand has digitalised the journal of Major Bridge, however it's not transcribed, and I'm having trouble reading the writing, I spent a good few hours on the first page and my notes are hilarious and hopeless. I can get the gist but I'm afraid that when it gets down to nitty gritty I'll just end up lost.

There aren't any resources online for Bridge or Corporal Free is there?

Hi Josh
Not that I know of. I have looked at the digitised Bridge Journal and I know what you mean. It would be an enormous task to transcribe. I copied a couple of pages, then changed the contrast to make the words easier to see, but some of it is still illegible. I have got into some pages that are directly relevant to some battles he was in and got the gist of what he was saying. I noticed in 'The Shadow of the Land' by Ian Wards, there are a lot of quotes from Bridge's journal - but then again he was an historian working at the NZ National Archives so probably read the original and had lots of time. I am reading that book at the moment - highly recommend, as it includes a lot of material taken from original letters and reports written by the participants (from the National Archives I assume).
colsjt65

Postby Josh&Historyland » 22 Apr 2015 11:17

Thanks guys, I'll check out that book and, Des, I'll look into learning the haka!

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to Maori Wars 1845-66