Where to start?

For all discussions relating to the Maori (New Zealand) Wars of 1845-72.

Where to start?

Postby Josh&Historyland » 06 Nov 2013 18:18

Hi chaps, or Kia Ora.

After reading Barthorp's To Face the Daring Maori's I've been interested in the New Zealand campaigns, especially the 1st Maori War. From here were is the best place to go, what are the best books about these conflicts, especially the 1st.

Josh.
Last edited by Josh&Historyland on 07 Nov 2013 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Re: Where to start?

Postby colsjt65 » 06 Nov 2013 21:50

Hi Josh

Well, you did start with the best book about the first war - thank you Mr Barthorp.

Until (or if) I ever finish the books I'm writing :D , here is my list of top books on the subject. Many are out of print or available only in New Zealand. I've taken most of this list from my web site - http://hicketypip.tripod.com/links.htm, under Histories.
Many of the original books, written between 1847 and the 1923, are available online, including http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-corpus-newzealandwars.html

General Histories
The Colonial New Zealand Wars, Tim Ryan and Bill Parham, Grantham House, New Zealand, 1986, 2nd Edition 2002, (ISBN 1-86934-082-5) - lots of photographs and illustrations. Includes + COLOUR PHOTOS of me!) Recommend as the best all-round book covering both history and uniforms/weapons/equipment.

The New Zealand Wars and the Pioneering Period, Vol. 1, 1845 - 64, James Cowan, 1923 (1983 reprint) - the classic history of the wars, including eye witness accounts from both sides. Available online at the New Zealand Electronic Text Centre.

I'd be remiss not to include-
The New Zealand Wars, and the Victorian Interpretation of Racial Conflict, James Belich, Penguin Press, 1986. - The definitive revisionist history of the wars. Accepted as gospel by those who know no better. Written by an academic with almost no knowledge of military tactics, weapon capabilities, who does not seem to have even been to many of the battle sites. Text and maps, but no photographs. A quick read leaves you scratching your head - if the British 'lost' many of the campaigns and most of the battles, just how did they end up winning? At the time he outraged most other military historians claiming that Maori invented trench warfare that wouldn't look out of place in WWI.

Frontier: The Battle for the North Island of New Zealand, 1860 - 1872. - Peter Maxwell, 2000 - The author sets out to sort out the politically correct (as told by both early NZ historians and late 20th century revisionists) from what really happened, with emphasis on the fact that by the end it was as much a civil war amongst Maori as it was evil white-man land grabbing.... Contains a lot of solid material that directly discredits Belich. It is a bit patchy in the coverage of the war conducted by the British, and contains some glaring technical errors (30" bayonets and photo of Remington Zouave captioned as an Enfield??), but has very in-depth coverage of the Colonial and Maori militias' war against Titokowaru and Te Kooti.

Two Peoples, One Land - The New Zealand Wars, Matthew Wright, Reed Publishing, 2006 - very well researched and fully referenced history of the wars. Keeps correcting some of the assumptions made by "some revisionist historians" (gee, wonder who). Well worth reading. But still, as usual, shows very little understanding of the capabilities, or even types, of weapons used. Also perpetuates a lot of the historic spelling mistakes of the names of officers - hasn't read the Army Lists :-)

1st War - 1845-46
Not a huge number devoted to just the first war -
To Face the Daring Maoris, Soldiers' impressions of the First Maori War 1845 -47, Michael Barthorp, Hodder & Stoughton, London, 1979.

Reminiscences of Twelve Month's Service in New Zealand, as a Midshipman, During the Late Disturbances in That Colony - By Lieut. H.F. McKillop. - First hand account by a midshipman of HMS Calliope at Ruapekapeka and the Wellington conflict of 1846. Available online.

1860s Period

A Sketch of the New Zealand War, Morgan S Grace, Horace Marshall & Son, London, 1899 - account, much of it eye witness by author) by an assistant surgeon who arrived in late 1860, up till end of war.

Brave British Soldiers and the Victoria Cross, London, Ward Lock & Co, circa 1866. Accounts of British Victoria Cross recipients in New Zealand.

Incidents of the Maori War, Maj. Gen. Sir James Alexander, Richard Bentley, London, 1863 (reprint Capper Press, 1973) - Accounts of fighting 1860-61.

Bush Fighting, Maj. Gen. Sir James Alexander, Sampson Low, London, 1873 (reprint Capper Press, 1973) - Accounts of the invasion of the Waikato, etc.

Memorials of Sergt W. M. Marjouram R. A., ed. Segt W White, London, 1862 - Diary of a Royal Artillery RSM who served in the Taranaki War of 1860-1.

Forest Rangers, Richard Stowers, Print House, Hamilton, New Zealand, 1996 - in-depth history of the unit, including biographies of nearly every man who served in it.

The Story of Gate Pa, April 29th, 1864, Capt. Gilbert Mair (ed. W.H Gifford), Bay of Plenty Times, Tauranga, 1937 (reprint 1964) - first hand account of the Gate Pa and Te Ranga, with supplementary list of casualties, official reports, correspondences etc. Available online.

The Waikato War, John Featon, 1879.

Well Done the 68th, The Durhams in the Crimea and New Zealand, 1854 - 1866. John Bilcliffe, Picton Publishing, 1995.

Field Guides

Landscapes of Conflict "A field guide to the New Zealand wars", Nigel Prickett, Random House, New Zealand, 2002 - A guide to the battle sites of the New Zealand wars, written by the Curator of Archeology at Auckland War Memorial Museum, with "then and now" photos and illustrations, including directions on finding the sites.

Sacred Soil, Images and Stories of the New Zealand Wars, Neil Finlay, Random House, New Zealand, 1998 - Easy to read history with "Then and Now" photos of battle sites and other locations.
colsjt65

Postby Josh&Historyland » 07 Nov 2013 00:56

Thanks for the great suggestions colsjt that's going to lengthen my to buy list. It's been a really big help, it's great that so many are online. Let us all know when your book is finished, I'm sure it will trump them all :D

I'm also interested in the Treaty of Waitangi, which is only sparsely covered in Barthorp's book, do these books cover that or are there separate studies too?

Have you seen this documentary, it was fun but I don't know how reliable it is. There are several parts.

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby colsjt65 » 07 Nov 2013 03:29

These books don't really cover the Treaty.

There are entire government departments, court cases, tribunals, and treaty settlement hearings devoted to interpreting the Treaty of Waitangi. Many people in New Zealand have devoted their entire careers to trying to understand it and how it affects the tribes that did and didn't sign it, putting right wrongs, and how it affects modern New Zealand and any piece of legislation past and future. Wars have literally been fought over it.

I enjoyed that doco. I think it is a pretty fair interpretation of what happened that day. It is ironic that the first chief to sign it was the chief who cut down the flagpole carrying the British flag several times and precipitated the Northern war.

I think the intent was noble (white man's burden and all that, bring British law and Christianity to the 'savage'), but it was too vague and the meaning of the Maori translation was different to the English version in crucial places. Copies of the treaty were then sent around the country for chiefs to sign. Those who didn't sign or later retracted could then be conveniently labeled as rebels. At the time it quelled the ambitions of the French, who were about to establish a colony at Akaroa. It also wiped the slate clean on all the dodgy land purchases by the New Zealand Land company and the clergy with the Crown becoming the only buyer (and therefore property developer, able to onsell it).
colsjt65

Postby Josh&Historyland » 07 Nov 2013 03:40

Hone Heke and the flagstaff is an iconic moment. And yes, sooo ironic that he was a vital part in the treaty signing. Even from the tentative look online I have had, the Waitangi treaty seems to be a weighty subject. Glad you liked the Doc.

Josh.
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby Rural53 » 07 Nov 2013 10:22

colsjt65 wrote:Forest Rangers, Richard Stowers, Print House, Hamilton, New Zealand, 1996 - in-depth history of the unit, including biographies of nearly every man who served in it.

This book was revamped and reformatted as Von Tempsky and the Forest Rangers in 2011, so this version is out there as well. I obtained a second hand copy a couple of weeks ago but it hasn't made it to the top of the "to read" pile yet.
Rural53
Participating Member

Postby colsjt65 » 07 Nov 2013 21:02

I should have asked Richard why he changed the title, last time I saw him. I'll ask him this weekend. I've always felt sorry for Jackson, with Von Tempsky always getting the public attention, mostly through self-promotion. I've flicked through it and it seems to be a second edition with some more good stuff, but couldn't bring myself to shell out for this one as well as the first book.
So yeah, worth owing, if you haven't already bought Forest Rangers...
Bring your copy along to Cambridge in the weekend and Richard can autograph it.
colsjt65

Postby Josh&Historyland » 28 Mar 2015 00:36

What's the chance of Major Cyprian Bridge's journal and the account of Corporal Free being online?

Josh.
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby rd72 » 28 Mar 2015 01:38

Josh,

All you need is this.... :) .... featuring "you-know-who"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdy-bzIPmGM
Cheers,
Rob
rd72

Postby Waggoner » 28 Mar 2015 02:40

Where would I find information about the work of the Commissariat and the 4th Bn MT?

All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Postby Josh&Historyland » 28 Mar 2015 11:24

Wow RJ almost like being there, so nice when one can say they know celebrities! Just to be safe though I'd best keep up the search for Bridge & Free.

Josh.
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby Rural53 » 01 Apr 2015 00:13

rd72 wrote:Josh,

All you need is this.... :) .... featuring "you-know-who"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdy-bzIPmGM

Photos from that event at http://www.victorianwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=8813
Rural53
Participating Member

Postby colsjt65 » 01 Apr 2015 21:13

Where would I find information about the work of the Commissariat and the 4th Bn MT?

Hi Gary, PM me with your email address and I can send you my research on the 4th Bn MT in New Zealand.
Cheers
colsjt65

Postby Josh&Historyland » 01 Apr 2015 23:08

colsjt65.

I see that the National library of New Zealand has digitalised the journal of Major Bridge, however it's not transcribed, and I'm having trouble reading the writing, I spent a good few hours on the first page and my notes are hilarious and hopeless. I can get the gist but I'm afraid that when it gets down to nitty gritty I'll just end up lost.

There aren't any resources online for Bridge or Corporal Free is there?

Josh.
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby bill wright » 08 Apr 2015 21:44

Sorry if I come in on this discussion a bit late, but perhaps I can add a few more titles I would recommend -

* Babbage (B.). HAUHAUISM AN Episode In The Maori Wars. Wellington 1937.
* Buick (T.). NEW ZEALAND`S FIRST WAR. Wellington 1926.
* Burrows (R.). HEKE`S WAR In The North In 1845. Auckland 1886.
* Crosby (R.) GILBERT MAIR Te Kooti`s Nemesis. Wellington 2004.
* Gudgeon (T.) REMINISCENCES OF THE WAR IN NEW ZEALAND. London 1879.
* Gudgeon (T.). THE DEFENDERS OF NEW ZEALAND. Auckland 1887.
* Harrop (A.). ENGLAND AND THE MAORI WARS. London 1937.
* Holt (E.). THE STRANGEST WAR The Story Of The Maori Wars 1860-72. London 1962
* Mair (G.). THE STORY OF GATE PA April 29th 1864. Tauranga 1937.
* Moon (P.). HONE HEKI Nga Puhi Warrior. Auckland 2001.
* Parham (W.). VON TEMPSKY - ADVENTURER. London 1969.
* Ross (W.). TE KOOTI RIKIRANGI General And Prophet. Auckland 1966.
* Sinclair (K.). THE ORIGINS OF THE MAORI WARS. Wellington 1961.
* Wards (I.). THE SHADOW OF THE LAND A Study Of British Policy And Racial Conflict In New Zealand 1832-1852.
Wellington 1968.
* Whitmore (G.). THE LAST MAORI WAR IN NEW ZEALAND UNDER THE SELF-RELIANT POLICY. London 1902.
* Wilson (O.). WAR IN THE TUSSOCK Te Kooti And The Battle At Te Porrere. Wellington 1961.
** my personal favourite of all books on the New Zealand War is Cowan`s 2 vol masterpiece;
his research was thorough, the illustrations are very good and he interviewed many survivors
bill wright

Next

Return to Maori Wars 1845-66