Role of the 12th Foot in New Zealand

For all discussions relating to the Maori (New Zealand) Wars of 1845-72.

Re: 12th Foot in New Zealand

Postby Banker » 21 May 2012 09:58

Hi Adrian, Yes it lists men by both regiments

Regards Steve
Researcher of Australians at War and Collector of Victorian Campaign Medals
Banker

Postby A.Roads » 21 May 2012 10:17

Thanks Steve, but does it detail which company, as well as the regiment, that each soldier was enlisted to?

The reason I ask is that I hope to learn specifically which companies of the 12th & 40th were involved at Eureka Stockade, references I have perused so far merely note which Regiment.
Regards, Adrian
A.Roads
Participating Member

Postby Banker » 22 May 2012 09:43

Adrian, It breaks the men down by Regiment and it covers those that were at Eureka

Suggest worth the $18.00 to buy a copy as it is interesting.

http://mostlyunsung.alphalink.com.au/mubooks.htm

Regards Steve
Researcher of Australians at War and Collector of Victorian Campaign Medals
Banker

Postby A.Roads » 23 May 2012 11:18

Thanks again Steve, I'll follow that up.
A.Roads
Participating Member

Re: Role of the 12th Foot in New Zealand

Postby colsjt65 » 08 Aug 2013 13:19

Adrian, did you have any luck finding that book?
I just came across a Christie's auction with a 40th Regt. '42 pattern, claiming it was carried by 'H' company at Eureka.
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/LotDetailsPrintable.aspx?intObjectID=2472001
colsjt65

Postby A.Roads » 16 Aug 2013 23:53

No I still haven't come across anything that notes which actual companies were involved at Eureka.
That very excellent sale catalogue I am familiar with, in fact it is the musket in the description notes which intrigues me most & which is a bit a "Holy Grail" for me. It mentions a P/42 musket marked 40/H/67, I have the bayonet for it with the same marking, I would very much like to have the musket as well.
If H company of the 40th Regt were at Eureka then its provenance at that event goes from possible to probable.
Regards, Adrian
A.Roads
Participating Member

Postby sutton1987 » 01 Apr 2014 20:00

Pgeddes wrote:Hello Andre,

Yes, the 12th Foot is the same as the Suffolk Regt. Throughout most of the nineteenth century it was styled '12th (East Suffolk) Regt. of Foot'. In 1880 it became the Suffolk Regt. The first battalion was stationed in Australia from (I think) 1854 until 1867. During the 1860s, companies of this battalion served in New Zealand. My great great grandfather was Battalion Paymaster Walter Rice Olivey, ranked as captain during the time of the Maori Wars, being promoted to major in 1867. As he had the New Zealand medal I have always been led to believe he actually served there for some time. That said, as paymaster he was not always in the same place as the rest of the battalion (throughout much of the 1870s he was in Lancashire, despite the battalion being in Ireland) so he might have been based in some other part of New Zealand from where the men of the battalion were on operations.
For reasons I am not exactly sure of, there is a card-de-visit in the Te Papa museum in Wellington with his picture on.

Paul

Old thread but if you didn't know Captain & Paymaster Walter R Olivey is confirmed on medal roll for NZ medal dated 1863-66 and the roll is marked R against his name which indicates he received the medal. I will have a look at the Crimea roll to see if he appears but the 12th Regt weren't present in the Crimea.
Mike
sutton1987

Postby sutton1987 » 01 Apr 2014 20:27

Further to the above ref W.R Olivey. Not on Crimea rolls but does appear as Colonel & Chief Paymaster Army Pay Department on roll for Egypt 1882 clasp The Nile 1884-5.
Also appears his son 2Lt Walter Rice Olivey 66 Foot was KIA 27 July 1880 at Maiwand. Probate records show his estate of about £170 was left to his father Lt Col Walter Rice Olivey , 3 Stormont Road, Lavender Hill,Wandsworth ,London.
Hope this will be of interest if you didn't already know this.

Mike
sutton1987

Postby Pgeddes » 17 Jul 2014 14:05

Thanks Mike.

I knew already that Paymaster Olivey had received his medal as he is shown wearing the ribbon in a number of photographs and the medal itself is now (along with his other medals) in the Suffolk Regiment Museum. The medal roll information is interesting though, so thank you. Thanks also for the information on 2Lt. Olivey's probate. I am well versed in Walter's life and his brief career in the army, but that was something I did not know so thanks again.

I am not surprised that you did not find Paymaster Olivey in the medal roll for the 12th in the Crimea, as he was actually commissioned into the 93rd Highlanders and didn't move to the 12th Foot until 1855 to take up the post of Lieutenant-Paymaster. However, a newspaper cutting I have mentions him being in the commissariat during the Crimea and that might account for his subsequent appointment as paymaster to 1st Bttn. 12th, although his younger brother was paymaster aboard a ship a few years later so there may have been a family talent for money management. My mother also seemed to think he had spent some time with the Buffs as well. On that front, one of Fenton's photographs from the Crimea shows Brigadier-General Van Straubenzee with a group of Buffs officers and NCOs. On the right of the picture is an officer who bears a very strong resemblance to Paymaster Olivey's brothers who I suspect might be him before he grew his trademark moustache and imperials. Someone may be able to confirm this. So I think he may have exchanged to the Buffs at some time during the Crimean war and very probably served with the Commissariat too, so I am not sure who he would be counted with for medals and I know of no evidence that he actually received the medal, as I can't see it in any photographs of him and there is not one amongst his other medals in the Suffolk Regiment Museum.

Here is the Fenton photograph:
http://www.nam.ac.uk/online-collection/ ... 9/4569.jpg

Sorry for being OT as this is supposed to be the Maori Wars forum.

Paul
Pgeddes

Previous

Return to Maori Wars 1845-66