Taranaki Military Settlers

For all discussions relating to the Maori (New Zealand) Wars of 1845-72.

Taranaki Military Settlers

Postby Peter » 09 Dec 2016 05:47

A plaintive plea to those across the ditch.

I’m after any details for:

Edward M Smith,

1865: appointed Armourer Sergeant in the Corps of Armourers,

1865: attached to Taranaki Military Settlers.

I’m particularly interested in his Corps of Armourers’ number. (I have the names and numbers of ten of the sixteen men appointed Armourer Sergeants in 1865).

I have his name and attachment from an Archives NZ document.

I don’t understand why he doesn’t appear on the New Zealand Medal roll (A – C), given its award to “having been either under fire, or attached to Her Majesty's Imperial Forces, during the War of 1860-1870”.

I don't know if

Jeffrey E. Hopkins’ Selected New Zealand war medal rolls of entitlements, rejections, and applications granted up to 1900 : HMCS Victoria (1860-61); officers and men from the 4 Waikato Regiments for service in the Imperial Commissariat Transport Corps; River Transport & Commissariat Transport Corps; 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th Waikato Regiments; Taranaki Military Settlers; Hawke's Bay Military Settlers; Napier Military Settlers; Poverty Bay Military Settlers; Forest Rangers; & Armed Constabulary,

is likely to contain any additional information other than the New Zealand war medal rolls?

While held at SLNSW, I’ve yet to consult it.

Thanks and regards,
Peter

Re: Taranaki Military Settlers

Postby Rural53 » 12 Dec 2016 05:08

Not the answer to your question but he seemed to have an interesting life in Taranaki, dying in a rail accident in 1907 . From Papers Past https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/PATM19070422.2.10?query=Edward%20Smith%20armourer

OBITUARY.

MR E. M. SMITH, M.H.R. New Plymouth, April 19. Mr Edward Metcalf Smith, M.H.E. for Taranaki, died at the Hospital tonight as the result of a railway accident this morning. He had been in ill-health for some time, but felt considerably better this morning, and was attending to some business. He boarded the 11 o'clock train at Elliot Street for town, standing on the carriage platform. As the train was rounding a curve he was seen by a letter carrier on the road to fall between the carriages, it is presumed during a fit of giddiness. Miraculously he fell between the rails and the wheels did not pass over him, but he received severe bruises and laceration of the head and face, being dragged some distance by the undergear. The accident was not noticed by anyone on the train. When picked up Mr Smith was conscious, and his painful injuries were attended to on the spot. He was subsequently removed to the hospital in a dazed state. A protracted operation was performed to relieve concussion, but without effect, Mr Smith succumbing in the presence of his family shortly before 8 o'clock.

Mr Smith represented New Plymouth from. 1891 till 1896, and the Taranaki electorate from 1900 to the time of his death. He was 68 years of age, a Taranaki pioneer, and one of the province's most enterprising spirits. With the efforts to develop the ironsand industry and petroleum he has been prominently connected for over 40 years, indeed most of his whole life and fortune were dedicated to the former. With the removal of " Little E.M." New Plymouth loses its most familiar figure.

THE INQUEST. New Plymouth, April 21. At the inquest on the body of the late Mr E. M. S-nith, M.H.R., to-day, a verdict of accidental death was returned, the jury express ; ng sympathy with the bereaved wife and family. A. large number of telegrams of sympathy have been received from members of Parliament and the Cabinet. The telegrams include one from the Acting-Premier and one from Mr Massey.

MILITARY FUNERAL. New Plymouth, April 21. The Government has ordered a military funeral for the late Mr E. M. Smith, M.H.R., who served with the Imperial and Colonial troops as armourer, Th. 9 Cabinet will be represented at the funeral by the Acting-Premier (the Hon. Hall-Jones), the Hon. J. Carroll and the Hon. R. McNab.
Rural53
Participating Member

Postby Rural53 » 12 Dec 2016 05:11

A run down of his life and achievements https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TH19070420.2.13?query=Edward%20Smith%20armourer

MR. SMITH'S LIFE'S HISTORY. A REMARKABLE CAREER.

Edward Metcalf Smith was born at Cradloy, in South. Staffordshire, England, in 1839. After working as a- lad and young man for eleven years in the steel and iron trade of his native county, he was apprenticed to the gun trade in Birmingham. He passed his degrees as an armourer in the Royal Small Arms Factory, Pimlico, London, at the Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield, London, and at the Royal Woolwich Arsonal, obtaining first-class certificates. He then received an appointment as staff garrison afmourer to the field forces in New Zealand, and came out in the ship African in 1861 to Auckland,, where he remained till 1864, when he returned to England in the ship Himalaya on the cessation of the Maori War. In the same year he came out to the colony again in the ship Ironsides, and was offered an appointment as armourer to the colonial forces by Colonel Pitt. This offer Mr Smith declined, preferring to settle in Taranaki, where his wife and her relatives had settled. He came to Taranaki, and shortly after arrival received an. appointment from the late Colonel Lepper as armourer to the Colonial Forces in Taranaki. He occupied this position for several years, and was then called to Wellington; by the Defence Department with a view of starting a small arsenal there for repairs and other work connected with defence. Being impressed with the value of ironsand deposits in the beach at Now Plymouth, and having made some satisfactory tests, Mr Smith, in 1872 resigned this appointment and commenced to work up a company to work the deposits. He lectured on *the subject in Dunedin, Christchurch, Wellington, and New Plymouth, and succeeded in inducing capital representing £30,000 to embark in the industry. This company was called The Titanic Iron and Steel Company, who built works at Te Henui, near the mouth of the river, about the year 1873. Mr Smith was the manager of the works and Mr T. K. Macdonald, of Wellington, was secretary. After a while Mr Smith severed his connection with the company, but in 1876, the company having failed to accomplish success, some of Mr Smith's friends joined in a guarantee for the purpose of enabling him to conduct operations. He took charge at the beginning of September, and after clearing out the furnace he succeeded before the end of the month in smelting about two tons of metal. For this he was entertained at a banquet at the old Oddfollows' Hall on October 2nd, 1876. No permanent success, however, -was achieved, and Mr Smith next turned Ins energies to opening the Mokau country, which had been closed for ten years, in order to develop the coal and limestone deposits with which it abounds, and he was largely instrumental in steps being taken to open up the deposits. For a time he was employed as a smelter at Mr Vivian's foundry, and subsequently was engaged at the harbour works at Moturoa. When Messrs Henderson, Fergus, and Mackie

obtained the contract for constructing water-works for New Plymouth Mr Smith joined their staff, and on the completion of the works he received the appointment of Borough turncock, which he held until two or three years ago, when his son was appointed in his place. His spare time was devoted to experimenting with the ironsand and other minerals, and' also to preparing a model ot a harbour at Moturoa,,his idea being to connect Mikotahi and Moturoa and build a breakwater eastwards from the latter island. His active mind was employed also in devising schemes for railways and other works]) including a line from Waitara, through the Mokau country, to connect with the Auckland system, and another to carry road metal from the slopes of Mount Egmont to the roads round its base. In 1884 Mr Smith contested the New Plymouth seat for Parliamentary honours, giving his first political address on July 11th. Has opponents were Messrs O. Samuel, 1. Kelly, and Major Brown, the firstnamed being elected with 243 votes, while Mr Smith was second on the list with 172 votes. In 1887 he was again a candidate, receiving 275 votes as against Mr Samuel's 639, Mr Dockrill receiving 126. In 1890 he was elected for Taranaki, receiving 539 votes, while the late Mr John Elliot received 516 and Mr R. C. Hughes 297. Three years later he received the renewed confidence of the electors, defeating the late Colonel Trimble .by a substantial majority. At the 1896 election Mr Henry Brown defeated him, owing to the Liberal vote being split, but' in 1^99/he. recovered the seat and twice- since' then the electors have re-elected him, Mr H. Okey being his leading opponent* on both occasions. While giving full attention to his political duties Mr Smith never lost sight of the ironsand. It was, in fact, the dream of his life to establish a great industry at Now Plymouth. In 1892 he again demonstrated the feasibility of his project at Onehunga by successfully smelting a quantity of sand. In 1896 a few supporters in New Plymouth raised funds to send Mr Smith to England for the purpose of endeavouring to enlist the interest of English capitalists and ironmasters. He addressed a meeting of the Iron and Steel Institute and succeeded in interesting a number of scientists and ironmasters, but no tangible results followed. In 1901 he accompanied the late Sir Alfred Cadman to England to make another attempt to float a company to work the ironsand deposits, and negotiations wore set on foot which have unfortunately never come to fruition, though Sir Alfred Cadman's partners afterwards sent Mr. J. Witheford Home to carry thorn on, and efforts are still being 'made to bring a scheme to a successful issue. Mr Smith, however, the inspirer of all the efforts, has not been spared to see his hopes and vision^ fulfilled. Failures and disappointments had a very depressing effect upon a naturally buoyant and hopeful nature, but an accident which he met with yearly three years ago had a more serious effect upon his health. A break had occurred in the water main at the new Henui bridge works, and Mr- Smith, with characteristic energy, took off his coat to help his son, who had succeeded him as Borough turncock, in the work of effecting repairs. While thus engaged a platform on which he. was standing gave way, and a large ladle of molten lead was upset over him, causing very severe burns. From these injuries he never really recovered his former strength, though he continued to carry on his legislative duties, and to interest himself in local matters- For months past, however, it has been evident that he had seen his best days. For some time he has been more or less confined to his -house, though during the last week or two he has occasionally managed to get about. He was on his way to town on Friday when the distressing accident occurred which ended fatally about half-past seven the same evening. Mr Smith married in 1863 Miss Mary Gokling, daughter of Mr N. Golding, who is still a resident of New Plymouth, and such success 1 as he achieved in life wa3 largely due to her inspiration and encouragement. She survives her husband, who also leaves a family of ten children, and twenty-three grandchildren. The children are: — Messrs W. J. Smith, J. C. Smith (Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages at New Plymouth), Sam Smith (of the Permanent Force, Auckland), T. P. Smith (borough water Service supervisor), S. G. Smith (Rail., ay Department), Leonard L. Smith (Lands and Survey Office), and H. Smith (Railway Department); and his daughters, Mrs R. F. Waite, of Wanganui ; Mrs W. Blair, of Middlehirst; and Miss Daisy Smith, of New Plymouth.

Miss E. M. Smith has received the following message of condolence from Mr W F. Massey, leader of the Opposition: — "Please' accept my sincerest sympathy in your bereavement. Though on the opposite side of politics to your late husband, I recognised and appreciated his many good qualities, and regret his death accordingly.'
Rural53
Participating Member

Postby Peter » 12 Dec 2016 06:42

Rural53

Thank you very much. Very helpful ….. and confusing.

His name was vaguely familiar. However, with a dozen of my wife’s military ancestors between late eighteenth and mid late nineteenth centuries called Smith, and any number of searches for other Smiths, nothing registered.

But as soon as I read the MHR reference in your OP the penny dropped. I had previously come across the second article and unsuccessfully searched FMP by DoB.

The confusion arises because whereas the article refers to completion of “degrees” and “first-class certificates” (not the usual terminology) and appointment in 1861, the Archives NZ document includes his Armourer Sergeant certification from the Commanding Officer, Corps of Armourers, in 1865.

With the benefit of your article and Archives NZ, I’ve cautiously concluded:

“appointment as staff garrison armourer to the field forces in New Zealand” is to a hopefully to be determined Regiment of Foot*

and

“appointment as armourer to the colonial forces” is to the Taranaki Military Settlers.

*I understand “By the end of 1865, the Imperial forces in the colony ….. consist(ed) of the 12th, 14th, 18th, 40th, 43rd, 50th, 57th, 65th, 68th, and 70th Regiments”.
(http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/1966/britis ... ew-zealand)

If there were any other Regiments who served in NZ between 1861 and 1865, I’d be grateful for the advice.

In the meantime, I remain interested in why he doesn’t appear on the New Zealand Medal roll ….. and if he appears in any official military documentation.

Regards,
Peter

Postby colsjt65 » 12 Dec 2016 21:13

Here are the shipping details.

African
Departed Gravesend 31 Jan. 1861, arrived Auckland 8 June 1861. Troops: 57th - 2 officers; Military Store Dept. - 2 officers, Mrs Rainsworth; Purveyors Dept. - 1 officer, Mrs "Waredoch"; Royal Artillery - 2 sergeants; Commissariat - 1 officer, 24 men; Army Hospital Staff - 24; 2 Armourer Sergeants, 1 servant, 17 women and 24 children.

Himalaya
Departed Auckland 28 Nov. 1863, arrived Spithead 16 March 1864 (via Sydney). Steam troopship. Troops: 100 military invalids, time expired men etc., Captain Mercer's widow and children; 65th - 1 officer.

Ironsides
Arrived Auckland 24 August 1864 - immigrant ship. Edward Smith listed as one of the immigrants.

As his was a staff appointment, he was not a member of a regiment.

Hope this helps
colsjt65

Postby Peter » 13 Dec 2016 05:35

Thanks colsjt65.

Also very helpful.

As his was a staff appointment, he was not a member of a regiment

I note your point. I’m unsure about my ‘definition’ here, but Armourers were on Regimental staff in the same way Paymasters, for example, were. However, your point did make me focus on the word “garrison” in “staff garrison armourer”.

Are you able to suggest what “garrisons” were in place in 1861?

I hate to show my ignorance to a Kiwi (especially at the end of a very long … for me … Rugby season!), but is there any hint here as to which Garrison he may have been posted: “came out in the ship African in 1861 to Auckland”? Or, was Auckland the port at that time?

I keep on coming back to his apparent omission from the NZ Medal Roll. Are you able to make any in principle suggestions for why he’s not there? Perhaps your point re staff appointment is the answer … for both 1861> and Taranaki Military Settlers service?

Regards,
Peter

Postby colsjt65 » 13 Dec 2016 10:20

Armourers were on Regimental staff in the same way Paymasters, for example, were. However, your point did make me focus on the word “garrison” in “staff garrison armourer”.

True, each regiment and corps had an Armourer Sergeant. I am guessing, by the way that '2 Armourer Sergeants' are listed in the shipping list (and indeed again on the Chariot of Fame which arrived in 1864), that these particular Armourer Sergeants were not members of a regiment. I think the description 'staff garrison armourer' is pertinent.

The main 'garrison' for Forces in NZ was the Albert Barracks in Auckland.
Auckland has two 'ports' - Waitemata and Manukau. In the contemporary newspapers, Waitemata was known as 'Auckland' and is the main port for overseas shipping. Manukau was and still is, dangerous because of a sand bar. It was mostly used for small coastal shipping on the west coast. Indeed, when HMS Orpheus tried in 1863 to take a short cut and entered Manukau it sank with the loss of over 180 men.

The main New Zealand Medal Roll (photocopy of hand-written lists) available has mainly the regiments and corps, not the various staff personnel, so don't know where you would find him. Maybe it's recorded on his records at Kew (I have never tried investigating the records there - perhaps a UK member of the forum can help there). If he stayed in Albert Barracks the entire time, he may not have qualified for the medal. Same thing later in the NZ forces, if he did not come under fire.
colsjt65

Postby Peter » 13 Dec 2016 12:02

Thanks colsjt65.

True, each regiment and corps had an Armourer Sergeant. I am guessing, by the way that …

There’s no disagreement. The point I was trying to make was that whereas I was considering Smith in the usual context of a Regimental Armourer, your “As his was a staff appointment, he was not a member of a regiment” reminded me he instead could be posted to a Depot / Garrison.

The main New Zealand Medal Roll (photocopy of hand-written lists) available has mainly the regiments and corps, not the various staff personnel, so don't know where you would find him. Maybe it's recorded on his records at Kew

Given my Regimental Armourer assumption, I simply scanned the Smiths in the various Rolls I came across.

TNA’s British Army 1760> records are available through FMP ….. which I’ve unsuccessfully searched by Name and DoB. However, FMP has its own intrinsic mysteries so I’ll gird my loins and search Smith by Regiments that had been stationed in NZ “By the end of 1865”.

Regards,
Peter

Postby Rural53 » 09 Jan 2017 00:35

I had to go into the office between Christmas and New Year, as the library is next door I had a look at Jeffrey E. Hopkins’ Selected New Zealand war medal rolls of entitlements... Edward Smith does not appear under the Taranaki Military Settlers. Nor does he appear anywhere in the book or in Volume 2.
Rural53
Participating Member

Postby Rural53 » 09 Jan 2017 01:01

I found another source in the National Archives https://archway.archives.govt.nz/BriefDescItemSearch.do. Unfortunately they are not digitised so you will need to find someone in Wellington to go and have a look for you.

Also have a look at http://vernon.npdc.govt.nz/search.do?view=lightbox&keyword=edward%20smith&db=object, a search at the Taranaki Library/Museum website.

A quick bio including early history in England. http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/biographies/2s31/smith-edward-metcalf
Last edited by Rural53 on 09 Jan 2017 04:57, edited 1 time in total.
Rural53
Participating Member

Postby Peter » 11 Jan 2017 04:01

Rural53

Thank you very much for brightening my day while breaking your leave to visit your office. (Been there. Done that!)

My apologies for the late response. For months the Forum has regularly failed to notify me of replies to posts.

I’m still struggling to make sense of it all, but your finds have assisted me considerably.

The biography from the Encyclopedia / Dictionary of New Zealand uses much more usual terminology: appears he completed his Gunsmith apprenticeship at RSAFs London and Enfield and RA Woolwich.

Your search of Hopkins appears to confirm colsjt65’s point “As his was a staff appointment, he was not a member of a regiment” / 'staff garrison armourer'. And he is not wearing any medals in the studio portrait.

The number you’ve found is not his Corps of Armourer Sergeants’ number (I have another man with that number, and the number is well outside chronological sequence). However, I now have a number which will be very helpful in searching a man named Smith.

Regards,
Peter

Postby Rural53 » 11 Jan 2017 04:37

Yes, the number is probably his Taranaki Militia number.
Rural53
Participating Member

Return to Maori Wars 1845-66